Designing a Monster Wood Splitter: Calculating Steel Strength & Thickness

• Thread starter BancheroTreeS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wood
In summary: there are a ton of them...choose the one that fits your needs. steel for the frame is easy to find and cheap.
BancheroTreeS
I am designing a wood splitter capable of splitting a 42" diameter log into 42 pieces in one cycle. The design utilizes a stationary multi-wedge splitter that will cut the log like a french fry press. The strongest hydraulic cylinders used in industrial firewood applications is about 90 tons. For various reasons (which I can get into if you like...)I want to use an even stronger cylinder 100-150 ton.

I have learned all I can about hydraulics, now I am now trying to learn about welding the steel frame and the splitter head. How would I calculate the size and thickness of rectangular steel for building a frame that can take these presures? What do you think would be the best choice of steel for a splitter head utilizing 1/4-3/8ths steel capable of maintaining a moderately sharp edge and withstanding ridiculous pressures without cracking or bending? A resource so I can learn how to do calculations myself would be great.

OK...for those who have read this far, a little back round. I do large tree removals and I would like a super heavy duty wood splitter to tow behind a truck like a wood chipper. I can dramatically increase profit if I eliminate most of the steps in the firewood process like rolling the wood rounds up a ramp into the back of the truck, unloading the truck, having a big corp yard, splitting the wood either by hand or with a single wedge hydraulic splitter, loading the truck again and delivering. The idea with my machine is the wood is handled once with the assistance of a winch and hydraulic log lifter to load the splitter and a short conveyor belt into the back of the truck. There are large firewood processors on the market but they are for processing 25' logs from the forestry industry. These machines have a log loading deck, a circular cut off saw, a multi-wedge splitter and and conveyor belt. The biggest logs the processors will take is 30" but I often work with wood larger than that. 42" is the longest bar my chainsaw will take and seemed like a reasonable restraint to my ridiculous project. In tree removal we often have to work with smaller chunks and cannot justify a $150,000 log processor. I'd like to build my machine for less than $15k.

Ok...questions again.
1. What grade steel should I be looking for for building the multi-wedge splitter?
2. What size and grade steel do I need to build a frame for the hydraulic cylinder that can withstand up to 150 ton of pressure?
3. Can someone recommend a resource so I can learn all this great stuff for myself?

Thanks everyone.

Matt B

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What factors should be considered when designing a monster wood splitter?

When designing a monster wood splitter, several factors should be taken into consideration. These include the type and size of wood being split, the amount of force needed to split the wood, and the desired size and weight of the final product. Additionally, the type and thickness of steel used for the splitter should also be carefully considered.

2. How do I calculate the strength of the steel needed for a monster wood splitter?

To calculate the strength of the steel needed for a monster wood splitter, you will need to determine the maximum force that will be applied to the splitter blade. This can be done by considering the type and size of wood being split, as well as the force of the hydraulic system powering the splitter. Once you have this information, you can use a steel strength calculator to determine the minimum steel strength needed for your specific design.

3. What is the best type of steel to use for a monster wood splitter?

The best type of steel to use for a monster wood splitter will depend on the specific design and usage of the splitter. In general, high-strength low-alloy (HSLA) steel is a good choice for its high strength and low cost. However, if the splitter will be subjected to extreme conditions or frequent use, a more durable and expensive steel such as tool steel may be a better option.

4. How do I determine the thickness of the steel for a monster wood splitter?

The thickness of the steel for a monster wood splitter can be calculated using the maximum force that will be applied to the splitter blade and the maximum stress that the steel can withstand. This calculation can be done using a steel thickness calculator or by consulting with a materials engineer. It is important to ensure that the chosen steel thickness can withstand the expected forces without bending or breaking.

5. Are there any safety considerations when designing a monster wood splitter?

Yes, safety should always be a top priority when designing any type of machinery, including a monster wood splitter. Some important safety considerations include the use of safety guards to protect the operator from flying wood or debris, as well as proper placement and stability of the machine to prevent tipping or other accidents. Additionally, regular maintenance and inspections should be conducted to ensure that all components are in good working condition and do not pose a safety risk.