Why Are Perpendicular Bisectors Used in Plane Mirror Diagrams?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
logearav
Messages
329
Reaction score
0
Optics -- plane mirror

Homework Statement



Revered members,
Kindly see my attachment. I don't understand the role of dotted lines in the diagram. Actually , DA, EC and NB are perpendicular bisectors. In the first place, why should we draw perpendicular bisectors? Can't we solve the problem with incident ray and reflected ray alone? Please help, members.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


 
Attachments
  • optics.png
    optics.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 536
Physics news on Phys.org


The bisectors help you to draw the reflected ray, as it makes an angle with it equal to that of the incident ray.

ehild
 


The perpendicular bisector is just the normal line to the mirror that creates the incident and reflected angles.

In this case I don't think they play a big role. This question seems more conceptual than anything.
 


Thanks for the replies ehild and Villyer. I got it now.