Why are the columns of Q linearly independent?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
victoranderson
Messages
34
Reaction score
0
Why column 1 is M^2*v? How can we know?

Please see attached. Many thanks.
 
Attachments
  • bpart.jpg
    bpart.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 528
  • cpart.jpg
    cpart.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 545
Physics news on Phys.org
hi victoranderson! :smile:

if Q-1MQ = that matrix,

then MQ = Q(that matrix), which is … ? :wink:​
 
tiny-tim said:
hi victoranderson! :smile:

if Q-1MQ = that matrix,

then MQ = Q(that matrix), which is … ? :wink:​

I know what you mean
Let that matrix be D
I can find MQ=QD by trail and error
Is there any other method I can use to find the columns of Q without trial and error?
 
hi victoranderson! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
victoranderson said:
I can find MQ=QD by trail and error …

it isn't trial and error

what are the columns of QD ? :wink:
 
tiny-tim said:
hi victoranderson! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)it isn't trial and error

what are the columns of QD ? :wink:


it's been a long time..

The columns of QD is [0,0,0]^T, [1,1,-1]^T and [2,3,1]^T
which are ##M^3v , M^2v , Mv ## respectively

I am stupid and I still do not understand..
 
Last edited:
hi victoranderson! :smile:

for any matrix P with columns A B C:

the columns of PD are 0 A B

the columns of MP are MA MB MC​

so MP = PD (ie P-1MP = D) if 0 = MA, A = MB, B = MC

(so A = MB = M2C and M3C = 0)

so we choose the columns of P to be M2 MC and C :smile:

(and then we call it Q instead of P)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person