Why Are the Integration Limits for Spherical Coordinates 0 to Pi and 0 to 2Pi?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
bcjochim07
Messages
366
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I am reading through my textbook about an application of the divergence theorem involving a point charge enclosed by some arbitrary Gaussian surface. When the author evaluates the ∫sE dot dA, they rewrite the expression as a double integral in spherical coordinates I am fine with this except I can't quite grasp the limits of integration that are given; they are 0 to pi and 0 to 2pi. I am having trouble picturing how these rotations integrate over the whole sphere, as I keep visualizing that both the limits should be 0 2pi. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org