Why Are There No 15 Representations for Fermions in SU(5) Grand Unification?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Safinaz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Unification
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Safinaz
Messages
255
Reaction score
8
Hi there,

My question about grand unification based on SU(5) symmetry group ..

I read in some papers, like that
http://arxiv.org/pdf/0803.4156v2.pdf

The Higgs scalars grand representation are only 5, 24, 45, and 15, while the fermions grand representations are only 5, 10 , and 24..

I wonder why there is no for instance 15 representation for fermions ? do anyone has an idea ..

best
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Safinaz said:
I wonder why there is no for instance 15 representation for fermions ? do anyone has an idea ..

If I recall well, it has to do with the chirality of the SM and how it's embedded within SU(5)?
http://arxiv.org/abs/1504.03695
check the discussion in 2.2 for example and how the 15 (and 35) is killed as a candidate.
I hope it helps... although I don't understand why you'd use the 24 repr for the fermions; are they majorana?