Why are there two values of Hy here?

• Thread starter edsoneicc
  • Start date
In summary, the presence of two values of Hy in a scientific experiment or calculation is due to the concept of a vector, which has both magnitude and direction. These values differ in terms of their sign or direction and both should be taken into account depending on the specific context of the experiment. However, in certain situations, one value of Hy may be ignored if it does not significantly affect the overall result. Ultimately, the correct value(s) of Hy to use will depend on careful analysis of the problem at hand.
edsoneicc

Homework Statement

66wumq.jpg

Homework Equations

∑M at H = 0 and ∑M at I = 0
∑Fy = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming that Iy is positive and Ix is negative; Hy is negative and Hx is positive.

Now I would like to compute for Iy and Hy using
∑M at H = 0 = Iy(2.3) - 50(3.05)
Iy = 66.3043
∑Fy = 0 = -50 + 66.3043 - Hy = 0
Hy = 16.3043

But if I use
∑M at I = 0 = Hy(2.3) - 50(3.05)
Hy = 66.3043

Why do I have different values for Hy?Also, is DI a two force member?

Physics news on Phys.org
But if I use
∑M at I = 0 = Hy(2.3) - 50(3.05)
Are you sure about that 3.05 distance?

1. Why are there two values of Hy here?

The presence of two values of Hy in a scientific experiment or calculation is often a result of the mathematical concept of a vector, which has both magnitude and direction. In physics and engineering, Hy represents the y-component of a vector, which can have both positive and negative values.

2. How do the two values of Hy differ?

The two values of Hy differ in terms of their sign or direction. One value may be positive, indicating a vector pointing in the positive y-direction, while the other value may be negative, indicating a vector pointing in the negative y-direction.

3. Which value of Hy should I use?

The value of Hy to use will depend on the specific context of the experiment or calculation. If the direction of the vector is important, then both values should be considered. If only the magnitude of the vector is needed, then the absolute value of Hy should be used.

4. Can one value of Hy be ignored?

In most cases, both values of Hy should be taken into account as they represent different aspects of the vector being studied. However, in certain situations where the direction of the vector is not crucial, one value of Hy may be ignored if it does not significantly affect the overall result.

5. How do I know which value of Hy is correct?

The concept of a vector allows for the existence of multiple values for Hy, as long as they have opposite directions. Therefore, both values can be considered correct, depending on the specific context of the experiment. It is important to carefully analyze the problem at hand and choose the value(s) of Hy that best fit the given situation.