Why Are Volume Current Densities Zero on the Surface of Conductors?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 17K views
WWCY
Messages
476
Reaction score
15
Hi all,

I have been reading Griffiths' book on Electrodynamics and have come across a point (image attached below) where he states that volume current densities are 0 on the surface of the current-carrying objects. He then uses these properties in pretty-important integrals.

However, I couldn't seem to find any explanation (physical or mathematical) in the book as to why it was the case. What exactly am I missing?

Thanks in advance!
Screenshot 2019-01-24 at 12.40.14 AM.png
 
Attachments
  • Screenshot 2019-01-24 at 12.40.14 AM.png
    Screenshot 2019-01-24 at 12.40.14 AM.png
    30 KB · Views: 491
Physics news on Phys.org
If you assume all the current is contained in some finite volume, then - as he says - you can always consider a larger volume, on which the surface integral must vanish
 
Hi, thank you for your response.

PeroK said:
If you assume all the current is contained in some finite volume, then - as he says - you can always consider a larger volume, on which the surface integral must vanish

Ah okay, it makes sense. However, if I choose to select the volume of integration such that it is exactly that of the current carrying body, will I still get ##J=0## for the surface integral?
 
No. Only the integral (containing ##\vec {\bf J}\cdot\vec {d\bf a}\ ##) vanishes
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWCY and PeroK