1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What does Griffith mean by this hint? [Electrodynamics]

1. Apr 26, 2017 #1
    I was solving the problems given by Griffith in his book 'Introduction to Electrodynamics' and stumbled across this question.
    Screenshot_3.png Screenshot_12.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    "Because sigma (conductivity of the medium) is a function of position, the equation 7.5 does not hold" --i get this point; current density isn't constant and so its divergence will be non zero.
    "The charge density is non zero in the resistive medium"-- I have no clue what this sentence means.. I can't even think why i don't find it right.. someone please explain it to me!!

Thanks a lot !

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2017 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Another hint: Use the constitutive equation
    $$\vec{j}=\sigma \vec{E}$$
    and the continuity equation for stationary currents
    $$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{j}=0,$$
    which together immediately tell you, how to modify Eq. (7.5). Also it would be helpful to tell, what ##s## is. Is it the cylinder coordinate ##r## in standard notation? I guess so from the Figure, which indicates that ##\vec{E}## is radially out.

PS: Questions like this should be posted in the homework forum!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted