Why are you allowed to do this?

• Thread starter motornoob101
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of canceling in equations involving trigonometric functions. It is pointed out that dividing by an expression that may be zero is not allowed, and therefore canceling is only legal if the expression is known to be nonzero. The conversation also mentions that canceling can result in the loss of solutions in some cases.
motornoob101
So if I have something like this..

[tex]rcos\theta =-r^{2}sin^{2}\theta[/tex]

I can cancel out one of the r to get

[tex]cos\theta = rsin^{2}\theta[/tex]

but how come when you have something like..

[tex]sin^2\theta = sin\theta[/tex]

and say you are trying to find the zeros of this equation, you can't just do

[tex]sin\theta = 1[/tex]

Is it because in the first example, we assume that r never = 0 so you can cancel it out where as in the [tex]sin\theta [/tex] example, it could be 0? Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You are right -- you can never divide by an expression that may be zero, and cancelling is a form of division.

Incidentally, I would have said that both of those examples of cancelling are illegal. You can only do the first one if r is nonzero, but that is not generally true! It is, of course, legal whenever you do happen to know that r is nonzero -- for example, if you happen to split a problem into two cases, one where r is zero, and one where r is nonzero, then clearly in the second case, you'd be allowed to cancel an r.

Oh ok. Thanks for clearing that up! I forget that canceling is division! Silly me.

Thanks for the fun example, motonoob101. You will have a quadratic equation with variable of cosine of theta:

[tex] \[
\begin{array}{l}
r\,\cos \theta + r^2 \,\sin ^2 \theta = 0 \\
r\,\cos \theta + r^2 \,(1 - \cos ^2 \theta ) = 0 \\
r\,\cos \theta + r^2 - r^2 \,\cos ^2 \theta = 0 \\
r^2 \cos ^2 \theta - r\,\cos \theta - r^2 = 0 \\
OR \\
\cos ^2 \theta - \frac{1}{r}\cos \theta - 1 = 0 \\
\end{array}
\]
[/tex]

also note that in you first example you "loose" a solution when deviding with r, namely r = 0, just like you loose solutions when deviding by sin in the second example.

"lose", not "loose".

(I don't know why that irks me so much more than other misspellings! Perhaps because "loose" is a perfectly good word, just the wrong one.)

1. Why are you allowed to conduct experiments on animals?

As a scientist, I am only allowed to conduct experiments on animals after obtaining ethical approval from an institutional review board. This approval is based on the potential benefits of the research and the ethical treatment of the animals involved.

2. Why are you allowed to use human subjects in your research?

Similar to animal research, human research also requires ethical approval from an institutional review board. This ensures that participants are protected from any potential harm and that their rights and privacy are respected.

3. Why are you allowed to manipulate data in your findings?

Data manipulation is a necessary part of the scientific process, as it allows us to analyze and interpret our results more accurately. However, all data manipulation must be done transparently and appropriately, following the guidelines set by the scientific community.

4. Why are you allowed to publish your research findings freely?

The publication of research findings is an important aspect of the scientific process, as it allows for the dissemination of knowledge and the advancement of science. Additionally, publishing in reputable journals requires peer review and ensures that research is conducted ethically and accurately.

5. Why are you allowed to use government funding for your research?

Government funding is crucial for scientific research, as it allows for the exploration and development of new ideas and technologies. However, researchers must go through a rigorous application process and adhere to strict guidelines to obtain funding for their projects.