Why aren't all insulators transparent?

In summary: The scattering of light by particles in a medium reduces the amount of light that can pass through the medium. This is why some materials are more transparent than others.
yert
As I understand it, conductors interact with EM waves (light) in such a way that
prevents transmission through the conductive material.

Given this, why aren't all insulators transparent?

Why is SiO2 transparent, but Si by itself is not?

Any and all information helpful.

TIA,

yert

Physics news on Phys.org
yert said:
As I understand it, conductors interact with EM waves (light) in such a way that
prevents transmission through the conductive material.

Given this, why aren't all insulators transparent?
Why should they be? Should insulators have "opposite properties" to every typical property of a conductor? Even if insulators interact with EM waves in a completely different way, can they still not be opaque over the visible range?

Why is SiO2 transparent, but Si by itself is not?
The properties of a compound have nothing to do with the properties of the elements it is composed of.

PS: You might want to check out post #4 here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=104715

Last edited:
Transparency

I am trying to understand why some types of matter are transparent and why
other types are not, that is my real question.

Now, there are other questions I have that go along with this.

For example, are there any known conductors that are transparent?
Are there insulators that have a luster (like metals) and are reflective (like metal)?

yert said:

Now, there are other questions I have that go along with this.

For example, are there any known conductors that are transparent?
Are there insulators that have a luster (like metals) and are reflective (like metal)?

I had understood it to be that the "behavior" of the electrons determine the properties of the compound. Metals with free electrons in their outer most shell tend to be the best conductors, stable elements with all electron shells stable (lowest energy state) tend to be good insulators. relection and luster is just another property due to electron behavior.

My explanation may not be completely correct so I suggest wikipedia and check out the references they use.

Transparency is all controlled by the outer shell of electrons.
There's no transparent conductor except for liquids.
Luster is other phenonmenon : reflection. It depends more on the surface properties of the material.

yert said:

Did you read the FAQ that was pointed out to you?

Zz.

Transparency

I did read the message referred to me, but have not read the FAQ, yet.

Metals are transparent at energies above the plasma energy.
As mentioned above, it's all to do with electrons in the material.

Just a note.

It is also possible to explain this phenomenon by considering light as a particle.

The amount of scattering that arises due to photon-electron interactions determines the opacity of the material.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

1. Why do insulators block light?

Insulators block light because they have a high number of electrons in their outermost energy level, making them difficult to excite. This means that they do not absorb or transmit light as easily as conductors, which have fewer outer electrons.

2. Can insulators ever be transparent?

Yes, insulators can be transparent in certain instances. For example, some crystals and plastics have a molecular structure that allows for light to pass through without being absorbed. However, most insulators have a higher opacity due to their electron structure.

3. Why are some insulators translucent instead of transparent?

Translucent materials allow some light to pass through, but not enough to see through clearly. This is due to the fact that some of the energy from the light is absorbed or scattered by the insulator's structure, making it difficult for light to pass through without being altered.

4. Do all insulators have the same level of transparency?

No, not all insulators have the same level of transparency. The ability of an insulator to transmit light depends on its chemical composition and molecular structure. Some insulators may have a higher transparency than others due to their specific arrangement of atoms and electrons.

5. Is there a relationship between transparency and electrical conductivity in insulators?

There is typically an inverse relationship between transparency and electrical conductivity in insulators. This means that insulators with higher transparency tend to have lower electrical conductivity and vice versa. This is due to the fact that materials with high electrical conductivity typically have a lower number of electrons in their outermost energy level, making them easier to excite and transmit light.