Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why Bluer sky with orange sunglasses

1. Apr 17, 2007 #1
    If I rember correctly, the sky seems more blue, when you look through a pair of sunglasses with orange glass.
    Why is that ?
    can anyone help out here.

Orange glass is orange because it absorbs some of the blue light - but then the sky should be less blue - right ?

-ZeroGravity

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2007 #2

neu

orange sunglasses make everything orange as they mostly transmit light of orange wavelength more than most other visible wavelengths. If what you say is true then it would appear that wavelength of blue light from the sky is also transmitted significantly more than other light although obviously not as much as orange. So while everything is more orange, it's also a bit more blue.

Just a guess though, mind.

4. Apr 18, 2007 #3
    According to me, there's something connecting the illusion of the eyes.

5. Apr 18, 2007 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

The orange glass preferentially absorbs the blue light. Thus, the sky is seen as darker than you would expect, particularly when compared to everythnig else in your environment. This darker sky looks bluer, but I do think, as you surmise, that this is an interpretation of the brain. The brain sees in contrast. A blue ball next to a red ball will appear bluer than a blue ball next to a cyan ball.

A careful analysis of the absolute colour in the scene will reveal light from the ground to be slightly darker and more orange, whereas light from the sky will be much darker and more orange (not more blue).

6. Apr 19, 2007 #5
    Thanks DaveC
    I will have to buy a pair and maybe try to meassure it.

-ZeroGravity

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?