Why Bluer sky with orange sunglasses

• Thread starter ZeroGravity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sky
In summary, when looking through orange sunglasses, the sky appears bluer because the orange glass absorbs some of the blue light. This creates a contrast between the darker, more orange sky and the rest of the environment, making the sky appear bluer. However, this is an interpretation by the brain and a careful analysis of the absolute color in the scene may reveal that the light from the sky is actually darker and more orange, not more blue.
ZeroGravity
If I rember correctly, the sky seems more blue, when you look through a pair of sunglasses with orange glass.
Why is that ?
can anyone help out here.

Orange glass is orange because it absorbs some of the blue light - but then the sky should be less blue - right ?

-ZeroGravity

Physics news on Phys.org
orange sunglasses make everything orange as they mostly transmit light of orange wavelength more than most other visible wavelengths. If what you say is true then it would appear that wavelength of blue light from the sky is also transmitted significantly more than other light although obviously not as much as orange. So while everything is more orange, it's also a bit more blue.

Just a guess though, mind.

According to me, there's something connecting the illusion of the eyes.

The orange glass preferentially absorbs the blue light. Thus, the sky is seen as darker than you would expect, particularly when compared to everythnig else in your environment. This darker sky looks bluer, but I do think, as you surmise, that this is an interpretation of the brain. The brain sees in contrast. A blue ball next to a red ball will appear bluer than a blue ball next to a cyan ball.

A careful analysis of the absolute colour in the scene will reveal light from the ground to be slightly darker and more orange, whereas light from the sky will be much darker and more orange (not more blue).

Thanks DaveC
I will have to buy a pair and maybe try to meassure it.

-ZeroGravity

1. Why does the sky appear bluer when I wear orange sunglasses?

The sky appears bluer when you wear orange sunglasses because the lenses of the sunglasses filter out specific wavelengths of light. Orange lenses filter out blue light, making the blue sky appear more vibrant and saturated.

2. Is there a scientific reason behind the color of the sky changing with different colored sunglasses?

Yes, there is a scientific reason. The colors we see are a result of the different wavelengths of light that are reflected or absorbed by objects. Different colored lenses filter out specific wavelengths of light, which can alter the colors we perceive.

3. Can wearing orange sunglasses affect my eyesight or perception of colors?

Wearing orange sunglasses can affect your perception of colors, but it will not have a long-term effect on your eyesight. The lenses only filter out specific wavelengths of light, but do not damage or alter your eyesight in any way.

4. Why do some people prefer to wear orange sunglasses while others prefer different colors?

People may prefer different colored sunglasses based on personal preference or style. Some may also choose sunglasses based on the specific wavelengths of light they want to filter out, such as blue light for those who have sensitivity to bright light.

5. Can orange sunglasses help with vision or improve visual acuity?

No, orange sunglasses do not improve vision or visual acuity. They simply filter out specific wavelengths of light, which can alter the colors we see but do not improve visual acuity in any way.