1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why orange color is visible with blue LED?

1. Nov 2, 2015 #1
    I am making a DIY spectophotometer.

What you see in this photo is flask of methyl orange solution in water with blue led in the back in a black box. As you can see the surrounding is blue because the box reflect blue light, however the light coming through the flask is orange. I don't understand why, blue LED gives narrow spectrum of blue light (450-500 nm from wikipedia). So there should be no orange color (600 nm or mix of green 500-570 nm and red 610-760 nm). Thank you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2015 #2
    Do you know whether the orange is a reflection or fluorescence?

4. Nov 2, 2015 #3
    Ohhh. I never knew that methyl orange have fluorescence. From the photo, I think it is reflection, because there is a dark area in the solution, if it is fluorescence that dark part must be lit up a bit.

5. Nov 2, 2015 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

The flask is filled to the 50ml level with water plus a few drops of methyl orange?

6. Nov 2, 2015 #5
    100 ml of deionized water and 0.01 gram of methyl orange powder and then half it.

7. Nov 2, 2015 #6
    I understand that LED is monochromatic light, but the photo shows that there are orange light. Or I misunderstood something?

8. Nov 2, 2015 #7
    I think the methyl orange, has a large portion of it's absorption spectrum in the blue range,
    That energy, once absorbed, has to go somewhere.
    It is just a guess, but one of the spontaneous decay products, could be your orange photons.

9. Nov 2, 2015 #8

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Methyl orange is fluorescent- it absorbs blue light from the LAD and emits over a fairly broad waveband, including orange (540 nm):

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/269036448_Absorption_and_Fluorescence_Spectra_of_Methyl_Orange_in_Aqueous_Solutions [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  10. Nov 2, 2015 #9

NascentOxygen

The orange light seems to emenate from the first few mm of solution at the base---that first encountered by the laser light. So the blue is rapidly absorbed and doesn't penetrate far at all? The orange pattern in the centre of the image is a complex reflection of that orange glow at the base? At the concentration of dye involved here, in white light would the solution have a pale appearance resembling light beer?

11. Nov 2, 2015 #10
    The 5 orange circular thingy is LED and the rest is cause by refraction and reflection.

So if I use diffraction grating film, I will see two spectrum (orange and blue) right?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  12. Nov 4, 2015 #11

NascentOxygen

It would be interesting to see the blue LED behind a wedge of the dyed liquid, e.g., by tilting a half-filled flask. Where the wedge of liquid is thick, we'd see this orange light, where the wedge is zero thickness the transmitted light will be blue, and maybe there'd be a level where the light coming through would be a mixture, viz., green? Kevin_tee, do you have the apparatus that you can try this?

13. Nov 4, 2015 #12

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I suspect that if you observe the totally-internally reflected 'images' of the LED, you will see two spectra- one from the unabsorbed blue light and one from the fluorescently emitted orange light.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook