Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why can I feel hiccups in my left arm?

1. Dec 13, 2014 #1
    Also, when I swallow a tablet with a big gulp of water I can feel it in my left arm too. Usually just above the elbow.

I'm guessing, because it's the left side, it has something to do with my heart.

I'm not hypochondriaking, I'm just curious.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Pinching the brachial nerve, perhaps?

4. Dec 13, 2014 #3

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Cardiac referred pain is a not well understood phenomena, though long and widely reported. I would not extrapolate from hiccups irritation spasm from IIRC somatic reflex arc to a cardiac phenomena. Your question is best asked a professional.

5. Dec 13, 2014 #4

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

There are a number of brachial nerves that are continuations of the axilliary nerve and plexus from C4 and C5.

Remember Artie Johnson's opening skit on R&M's Laugh In, where he falls off his tricycle? Five-ish years ago I flipped my performance trike and fell onto my out-streched arm impinging/pinching my Long Thoracic Nerve of Bell and enervating my Rt Anterior Serratus, the muscle that holds the scapula against the trunk. Now when I hold my Rt arm out my scapula sticks out like a bird's clipped wing, hence my Winging Scapula. While the muscle was dissecting the pain was incredible for two sleepless days.

6. Dec 13, 2014 #5

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Aren't the anatomical lessons of "maturity" marvelous to experience? C3 is the trigeminal? Plus something down the arm.

7. Dec 13, 2014 #6

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Experience is a good teacher. A bad experience is a better teacher.

Not as I recall. It's tri for three branches to the face, mandible and maxilla.

In HS I insulted CN VII with Swimmer's Ear causing Bell's Palsy for six weeks and ending my career as a competitive swimmer (George Haynes, SCHS '64 '65).

8. Dec 13, 2014 #7

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... and I was thinking there was another nerve off C3 that has something to do with sense of touch in the arm. Turn the head to see what the cat knocked over, hear a crunching, grinding noise in the neck and one side of the face and arm on same side go numb simultaneously.

9. Dec 13, 2014 #8

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

10. Dec 13, 2014 #9

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

"Somewhat simplified." Possibilities for crosstalk in a frayed wiring harness look horrifying.

11. Dec 13, 2014 #10

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Oh sure. Anatomy and physiology is not rigidly designed or arranged. That's why MD's get the big bucks for recognizing that "something's different here!"

12. Dec 19, 2014 #11
    Don't forget that the brain's map of sensations to locations on the body has a great deal of plasticity. I recall reading about doctors grafting artificial nerves from a prosthetic limb onto an amputee's body and the brain learning to process those signals.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook