Why can light go through some matter but not other matter?

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of transparency in relation to electromagnetic waves. It was explained that an object is transparent if light causes electrons in the object to oscillate, allowing light to pass through until the same frequency light is emitted on the other side. The conversation also touched on how refraction and reflection play a role in our ability to see transparent materials such as glass and water. It was also mentioned that air can also be seen as transparent, as evidenced by blowing bubbles underwater.
k9b4
If possible, I would like an explanation that uses light as an electromagnetic wave, rather than a massless particle, because I don't understand photons. Thank you.

Science news on Phys.org
davenn said:
Thanks, so an object is transparent if light causes electrons in the object to oscillate, all the way through, until the same frequency light is emitted out the other side?

If this is the case, consider the electrons right on the surface of the object on the side of the incoming light. The light is causing them to oscillate; why is light not also reflected back to my eyes, enabling me to see air or other transparent materials?

Bump

Still don't understand

k9b4 said:
consider the electrons right on the surface of the object on the side of the incoming light. The light is causing them to oscillate; why is light not also reflected back to my eyes, enabling me to see air or other transparent materials?
It is. That, and refraction, are how you can see glass or water or diamonds or other transparent materials.

DaleSpam said:
It is. That, and refraction, are how you can see glass or water or diamonds or other transparent materials.
But I can't see air. I understand how I can see diamonds and glass, but I don't understand how I can see air?

k9b4 said:
But I can't see air. I understand how I can see diamonds and glass, but I don't understand how I can see air?
Sure you can. Go underwater and blow bubbles. You will definitely be able to see air in the same way that you can see other transparent materials.

DaleSpam said:
Sure you can. Go underwater and blow bubbles. You will definitely be able to see air in the same way that you can see other transparent materials.
Good point. Thanks.

1. Why can light go through air and water, but not through walls and other solid objects?

Light can travel through a material if the atoms and molecules in that material are not tightly packed together. In air and water, the atoms and molecules are more spread out, allowing light to pass through relatively unimpeded. However, in solid objects, the atoms and molecules are tightly packed, which causes light to be absorbed, reflected, or scattered instead of passing through.

2. What determines whether a material is transparent, translucent, or opaque to light?

The arrangement and spacing of atoms and molecules in a material determine its transparency to light. If the atoms and molecules are uniformly spread out, light can easily pass through and the material will be transparent. If the atoms and molecules are more tightly packed, light may pass through but will be scattered, resulting in a translucent material. And if the atoms and molecules are tightly packed and do not allow light to pass through at all, then the material will be opaque.

3. How does the wavelength of light affect its ability to pass through matter?

The wavelength of light determines how easily it can interact with the atoms and molecules in a material. Light with shorter wavelengths, such as ultraviolet and X-rays, have more energy and are more likely to be absorbed or scattered by the atoms and molecules in a material. On the other hand, light with longer wavelengths, such as radio waves, have less energy and are more likely to pass through without interacting with the material.

4. Can light ever pass through solid objects?

Yes, there are some materials, such as glass and certain types of plastic, that are both solid and transparent. These materials are called "optically transparent" because they allow light to pass through without being absorbed or scattered. However, even in these materials, light can still be reflected or refracted, which can affect its path through the material.

5. Why does light travel at different speeds through different materials?

The speed of light in a material depends on the material's refractive index, which is a measure of how much the material can slow down light. Materials with a higher refractive index, such as glass, will slow down light more than materials with a lower refractive index, such as air. This is why light appears to "bend" when it passes through different materials, as its speed and direction change due to the varying refractive index.