Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why can not we generate electricity with magnets?

1. Feb 17, 2015 #1
    If we can create a magnetic field with a solenoid, why can not we generate electricity with magnets?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2015 #2

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

Hi sach963, welcome to PF!

Why do you think it can't be done? Have you seen a bicycle dynamo?

4. Feb 17, 2015 #3

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Feb 19, 2015 #4
    We can It is called electromagnetic induction. Just as we cannot create magnetic fields using point stationary charges, we cannot create electricity with a magnet at rest (We can but it requires that we move a conductor in a specific way near it). For more information try googleing "electromagnetic induction"

6. Feb 19, 2015 #5
    thank you all for the information.But just one more thing, wiil this cause the weakening of the magnet?

7. Feb 19, 2015 #6

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

No, it won't. You're not extracting energy 'stored' in the magnet, you're extracting energy from the work you're doing using the magnet (like moving it back and forth next to a solenoid).

8. Feb 19, 2015 #7
    Thanks!

9. Feb 19, 2015 #8

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Build your own "shake" powered flashlight..

10. Feb 19, 2015 #9
    Relativity is says that you cannot say whether it is the coil or the magnet which is at rest with respect to the other. It's simply a matter of what is more convenient to build.

11. Feb 20, 2015 #10

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I added a graph. Red is the fraction of electricity power produced via moving magnets (or moving wires in magnetic fields, which is the same), dark blue all other production methods combined (which is just photovoltaics, for ~1%).

electricity.png

12. Feb 20, 2015 #11
    And a moving magnet phonograph cartridge generates an electric signal by a magnet that is moved back & forth, up & down by the grooves in a phonograph (Long Play- LP, 45s, vinyl).

13. Feb 23, 2015 #12
    Also, there are moving coil phonograph cartridges which generate an electric signal via a coil moved back & forth, etc. by the grooves of a vinyl phonograph record. The coil is moving realtive to the magnetic field of a small magnet solidly afixed to the phonograph cartridge. In this case we visualize the coil as moving and the magnetic field as stationary.

Generally speaking, the physical principle (magnetic induction) and the associated math gives us the same result (the same electric current in the wire) regardless of whether we visualize the wire as moving relative to a stationary magnet field, or the magnetic field moving relative to a stationary wire.

14. Mar 2, 2015 #13

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Some phonographs work this way. Some use a piezoelectric crystal. There might be other mechanisms. Some materials change their resistance under changes of stress, for example. I'm not sure if any phonographs use that method.

I do miss my vinyl collection. Why did I ever get rid of it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook