Why can't a neutral rho meson decay to two neutral pions?

  • Thread starter Thread starter K8181
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Decay Meson
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 5K views
K8181
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
I just started a class in particle physics this semester, and I really need help on one of our first homework problems. We are supposed to show that while the following decays are allowed:

roe(+) --> pi(0)pi(+)
roe(-) --> pi(0)pi(-)
roe(0) --> pi(+)pi(-)

the following decay is not allowed:

roe(0) --> pi(0)pi(0)

I am pretty sure the reason is that it violates a conservation law, but I don't know which one. We have barely touched on what quantities are conserved in lecture. I can see that charge is conserved in all cases, so no problem there.

We are also told that the roe meson is a spin 1 particle, so I think that should play a role. However, the part of quantum mechanics that dealt with angular momentum and spin was a bit treacherous for me. Any help is greatly appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This all sounds pretty fishy to me... Oh perhaps you mean [itex]\rho[/itex] that is rho!

You might benifit by reading This thread.
 
For anyone reading this thread, that link was just about using LaTex for math symbols...I still REALLY need help with this problem!

:biggrin:
 
I'm not an expert in particle physics, but have you checked

1.) spin
2.) parity

I think rho mesons have both their quark and antiquark aligned, whereas pions have them antiparallel so one rho can't make two pions.
 
From what I have deduced, I think the culprit is parity. Could you explain what you know about parity? I have always found it a mysterious concept.