Why is eta meson decay into 3 neutral pions forbidden?

In summary, the eta meson cannot decay into 3 neutral pions because of G-parity conservation. Each pion has a G-parity of -1, and the total G-parity of the eta meson is 1. Using isospin and boson statistics, we can see that it is impossible for an odd number of pions to have a G-parity of 1, thus the decay is forbidden.
lLehner95
Homework Statement
Explain why eta meson can't decay into 3 neutral pions. Use isospin and pions statistics.
Relevant Equations
`##|\eta >=|I=0,I_{z}=0>## and ##|\pi ^{0} >=|1,0>##
I started combining 2 pions:
##|\pi ^{0},\pi ^{0} >=\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}|2,0>-\sqrt{\frac{1}{3}}|0,0>##
What should i do now? Should i continue combining the third pion or can i already say that it's forbidden? If yes, why? Is it because the state antisymmetric, impossible for two bosons?

Physics news on Phys.org
lLehner95 said:
Homework Statement: Explain why eta meson can't decay into 3 neutral pions. Use isospin and pions statistics.
Homework Equations: `##|\eta >=|I=0,I_{z}=0>## and ##|\pi ^{0} >=|1,0>##

I started combining 2 pions:
##|\pi ^{0},\pi ^{0} >=\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}|2,0>-\sqrt{\frac{1}{3}}|0,0>##
What should i do now? Should i continue combining the third pion or can i already say that it's forbidden? If yes, why? Is it because the state antisymmetric, impossible for two bosons?

One way to tell it is forbidden is using G-parity conservation.

The eta meson has G-parity 1, so it can only decay to something whose total G-parity is 1. Each pion has G-parity of -1. Since the G-parity of a system of two or more particles is just the product of the G-parity of each of these particles (it is multiplicative), we conclude that the eta meson cannot decay to an odd number of pions.

You can read more about G-parity here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-parity.

Thank you! However, we haven't studied G-parity yet, and our teacher wants us to solve the problem using isospin and boson statistics.

1. What is an eta meson?

The eta meson, also known as the eta particle, is a subatomic particle made up of a quark and an anti-quark bound together. It is a member of the meson family, which are particles that are composed of a quark and an anti-quark.

2. Why is the decay of an eta meson into 3 neutral pions forbidden?

The decay of an eta meson into 3 neutral pions is forbidden due to conservation of certain quantum numbers. The total charge, strangeness, and baryon number must remain the same before and after the decay. Since the decay of an eta meson into 3 neutral pions would violate these conservation laws, it is not allowed.

3. Can an eta meson decay into 3 charged pions?

Yes, an eta meson can decay into 3 charged pions. This decay is allowed because it conserves the necessary quantum numbers. The resulting particles have the same total charge, strangeness, and baryon number as the original eta meson.

4. Is the decay of an eta meson into 3 neutral pions ever observed?

No, the decay of an eta meson into 3 neutral pions has never been observed. This is due to the fact that it is forbidden by conservation laws and therefore has an extremely low probability of occurring. Scientists have not yet detected this type of decay in experiments.

5. What are the implications of the prohibition of eta meson decay into 3 neutral pions?

The prohibition of eta meson decay into 3 neutral pions has important implications for particle physics. It is evidence of the conservation laws that govern subatomic particles and their interactions. It also helps to explain the stability of the eta meson and the relative rarity of its decay into other particles.