• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Why can't a photon transfer all of its energy to an electron?

• Thread starter darrenhb
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Pretty straight forward, I just have to show why a photon can't transfer all of its energy to an electron. I understand this in theory but I'm stuck at how to show it.

Homework Equations

1) Ep + mec2 = Ep' + Ee

Where Ep is the energy of the photon, Ep' is the energy of the scattered photon, and the rest is obvious.

2) E = hf

3) p = p'cos([tex]\theta[/tex]) + pecos([tex]\phi[/tex])

4) p'sin([tex]\theta[/tex]) = pesin([tex]\phi[/tex])

p is the initial momentum of the photon, p' is the final momentum of the photon, pe is the momentum of the electron after scattering. [tex]\theta[/tex] is the angle of the scattered photon and [tex]\phi[/tex] is the angle of the scattered electron.

The Attempt at a Solution

I figure I have to use conservation of momentum and energy to show that it's a contradiction. I was going to assume [tex]\theta[/tex] and [tex]\phi[/tex] were 0, but I'm not sure if I can do that. I've hit a roadblock, I'm not sure how to go about this. A hint in the right direction would be much appreciated!

Answers and Replies

Using the relativistic dispersion formula:
[tex]
E^2 = m^2 c^4 + p^2 c^2
[/tex]
you can prove that the conservation laws for energy and momentum can not be satisfied simultaneously if Ep'=0.

Thanks! That equation was the missing link I think, I figured it out. :)