Why cant I create 1 million threads?

• Thread starter camel-man
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Threads
In summary: With a million threads, the stack size will be 36 million bytes.In summary, the number of running threads on a computer is limited by the number of registers the processor can keep track of, and when the number of threads exceeds this limit, the processor switches between them to do work.
camel-man
I have code written in java and I am fluxuating the parameters of how many threads I am creating, the OS accounts for threads up to 20,000 and I can see on the task manager that the number of running threads increases. Then how come when I put in 1 million the program still runs but the number of threads remains constant at the normal operating level? it doesn't go past the standard maintenace of 1000 threads running? I don't understand.

Technology news on Phys.org
You haven't specified which OS you're using, but there may be a (possibly undocumented) limit on the number of threads a single program can create - or on the number that can be reported by the OS.

It is uncommon for an application to spawn more than 100 threads at a time. And for most applications, creating that many threads would indicate a poor design.

Just because the OS shows thread number 20000 doesn't mean there are that many threads, chances are most earlier ones were long killed.

Switching is costly, having many threads can substantially slow down the computer, as CPU spends more time switching between threads, than doing the real job. That's why number of concurrent threads can be limited, like .Scott suggested. Those you tried to start can be in queue, waiting, or they were simply not started and ignored.

Excessive numbers of threads result in "thrashing" which is what Borek described. Operating Systems are designed to not allow unlimited thrashing and so will not attempt to run unlimited numbers of threads. I'm saying the same thing Borek said, just using more formal terminology.

phinds said:
Excessive numbers of threads result in "thrashing" which is what Borek described. Operating Systems are designed to not allow unlimited thrashing and so will not attempt to run unlimited numbers of threads. I'm saying the same thing Borek said, just using more formal terminology.

Thanks, sometimes I am limited by my English.

phinds said:

The processor state with each thread must be maintained as a scheduler switches them out to do work. To do a switch, the registers for the thread have to be saved. The kernel registers have to be loaded, the scheduler comes up with the next thread to get some time, the kernel registers have to be saved. The next thread's registers have to be loaded.

So as the number of threads increases, the computer spends more and more of its time exchanging registers instead of doing work.

SixNein said:
So as the number of threads increases, the computer spends more and more of its time exchanging registers instead of doing work.

Exactly. The formal name for this process is, as you said before you edited you post, "context switching" and when it is done to excess it is called "thrashing". The name comes from the manual separation of grain kernels from their stalk by slapping them back and forth on stones, a process known as thrashing. Why this term is used to describe something that doesn't get any work done, or actually PREVENTS work from getting done, seems unclear since it does get work done. I think it's the moving back and forth part of the term that is what is being used to describe the computer process.

phinds said:
The name comes from the manual separation of grain kernels from their stalk by slapping them back and forth on stones, a process known as thrashing. Why this term is used to describe something that doesn't get any work done, or actually PREVENTS work from getting done, seems unclear since it does get work done. I think it's the moving back and forth part of the term that is what is being used to describe the computer process.
"Thrashing" was originally applied to mainframe systems with disc drive - the kind of disc drives that resembled automatic washing machines in bulk and overall appearance. The thrashing could be easily seen and heard to the computer operator as system cause the read/write heads to position back and forth to widely (several inches) separated cylinders.

phinds said:
Excessive numbers of threads result in "thrashing" which is what Borek described.
Not necessarily. For example, suppose each thread represents a remote connection of a person typing queries into some database. Almost all of the threads will be I/O suspended, waiting for slow human input. Only a small handful will be active, and most of those will be suspended as well, either waiting for the database or waiting for permission to access the database.

@camel-man, the reason you cannot create a million threads is stack size. Each thread has its own execution stack. The default with several Java Virtual Machines is 1024k per thread on a 64 bit processor. 1 million times 1024k -- that's a terabyte. You probably don't have that much disk space, period, let alone that much disk space set up as virtual memory.

Last edited:
D H said:
Not necessarily. For example, suppose each thread represents a remote connection of a person typing queries into some database. Almost all of the threads will be I/O suspended, waiting for slow human input. Only a small handful will be active, and most of those will be suspended as well, either waiting for the database or waiting for permission to access the database.

Good point.

D H said:

@camel-man, the reason you cannot create a million threads is stack size. Each thread has its own execution stack. The default with several Java Virtual Machines is 1024k per thread on a 64 bit processor. 1 million times 1024k -- that's a terabyte. You probably don't have that much disk space, period, let alone that much disk space set up as virtual memory.

Good point, only the heap is shared in a multithreading environment.

There can also be price to pay on cpu cache performance if the code is large enough since those threads will trigger lots of cache misses.

The OS may well have a long queue of a million inactive threads waiting their turn. The report of 20,000 may be the number of threads loaded during the last sample time. With 1 msec allocation that time period would be 20 seconds. If the threads were all idle it might only take 50 usec to switch and check, that gives a sample reporting time closer to 1 second.

The pid of a process is just an incrementing integer, I get pid's of 20000 or so fairly often, but most of the processes that had lower pid's are long gone. I guess the OS just keeps incrementing until it's safe to start again at some lower number.

1. Why is there a limit to the number of threads I can create?

There is a limit to the number of threads that can be created due to the limitations of the hardware and operating system. Each thread requires resources such as memory and processing power, and having too many threads can lead to system instability and performance issues.

2. Can I increase the maximum number of threads that can be created?

It may be possible to increase the maximum number of threads by adjusting system settings or upgrading hardware. However, this should be done cautiously as it can have negative effects on system performance and stability.

3. How does the number of threads affect program performance?

The number of threads can greatly impact program performance. Too few threads and the program may not be utilizing the available resources efficiently. Too many threads can lead to resource contention and slow down the program. Finding the optimal number of threads for a specific program requires experimentation and fine-tuning.

4. Can I run multiple programs with a large number of threads simultaneously?

Yes, it is possible to run multiple programs with a large number of threads simultaneously. However, this can put a strain on the system's resources and may lead to performance issues. It is important to consider the limitations of the hardware and adjust the number of threads accordingly.

5. Is there a maximum number of threads that can be created for a single program?

Yes, there is a maximum number of threads that can be created for a single program. This limit is determined by the operating system and the available resources on the system. Attempting to create more threads than the maximum limit may result in errors or system crashes.