Why did the lid of a heated container cave inwards?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Eve Litman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Container
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Eve Litman
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
I microwaved a container of soup with a lid sitting on top. When I tried to remove the lid, a suction had formed and the lid was very difficult to remove, as if the volume and pressure of the container had both decreased. However, heated gas (in this case, steam from the soup) expands. So why did the lid of the container cave inwards instead of bulge outwards?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
Eve Litman said:
I microwaved a container of soup with a lid sitting on top. When I tried to remove the lid, a suction had formed and the lid was very difficult to remove, as if the volume and pressure of the container had both decreased. However, heated gas (in this case, steam from the soup) expands. So why did the lid of the container cave inwards instead of bulge outwards?
When you tried to remove the lid, the soup wasn't heating, it was cooling!