Did the Pressure of a Monatomic Gas Change During Isentropic Heating?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
kolua
Messages
69
Reaction score
3

Homework Statement


A sample containing 3.65 mol of a monatomic ideal gas is heated from 289K to 458K, and the entropy remains constant. If the initial volume of the sample was 0.0980m^2, by what factor did the pressure increase or decrease during this process?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


it's isentropic. use the formula to get volume and then substitute it into ideal gas formula? would love some hints please!
 
Attachments
  • Screen Shot 2015-12-18 at 2.45.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-18 at 2.45.44 PM.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 557
Physics news on Phys.org
kolua said:
it's isentropic. use the formula to get volume and then substitute it into ideal gas formula?
That should work. What did you get?
 
TSny said:
That should work. What did you get?
I got 0.316 and the answer is 3.16. thanks, I think I might have made mistake in the decimal.
 
I agree with the answer of 3.16. If you can't find your error, post the details of your work.