1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do Balloons filled with Air not fall at 9.6m/s/s?

1. Sep 8, 2009 #1
    I've been racking my brain to figure this one out, I really don't understand it.

If you fill a balloon with air from your lungs, just manually blow it up, it should be carbon dioxide, no?

Density of Carbon Dioxide at Sea Level: 1.977 g/L
    Density of Air at Sea Level: 1.2 g/L

So it's heavier. I know I'm pulling these numbers out of seemingly nowhere, but I'm sure someone can verify they are accurate.

So why on Earth would a balloon filled with a gas heavier than the surrounding gas in it's environment not drop at the normal speed. Aren't I right to think that bouyancy only takes effect when the gas inside the balloon is at least a bit lighter?

Or is there some critical property I'm missing?

Please enlighten me, thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2009 #2
    Do you recall that Gallileo dropped a feather off the Tower of Pisa, as well as a 1 pound weight and a ten pound weight:
    http://www.jimloy.com/physics/galileo.htm [Broken]
    Astronauts tried Gallileo's experiment on the moon. See:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Sep 8, 2009 #3
    If you fill a balloon up with your breath it would be mostly nitrogen just like the air you breathed in.

Also, with a density so close to that of the air it is prone to the slightest disturbances from the air.

5. Sep 9, 2009 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

1] As pointed out, your exhaled breath is almost exactly the same as the air. It has an extra 5% CO2 and is shy by the same amount of oxygen.

2] You've got a volume of air, that weighs maybe a gram or two more than the surrounding air, but it has a giant surface area. It's terminal velocity is on the order of a few feet per second.

6. Sep 9, 2009 #5
    Ahh, Terminal Velocity. Now that makes sense. :)

Thanks for pointing that out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook