Find Height of Air Sample w/ 6.21 moles of Particles @ 15C

• Thread starter Jilly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
In summary: The lapse rate is defined as the rate at which atmospheric temperature decreases with increase in altitude.From the quoted section, it seems that you are trying to use Equation 2 to calculate pressure at a height where the atmospheric pressure is 0.015 atm. However, since the atmospheric pressure on Earth is 1 atm, you are missing a vital variable in your calculation. In summary, many particles are in 1 L of air.
Jilly
A. Given that the average diameter of all particles in a sample is 16 nm, te density of all particles is 1.25 x 10^-4 g/cm^3, and the density of the sample of air is 100 microgram/cm^3, how many particles are in 1 L of this air sample?

V(particle) =2.14x10^-18 cm^3
x density = 2.675x10^-22 g

1 L = 1000cm^3
1000cm^3x100microgram/cm^3 = 100000 microgram= 0.1g

0.1g/2.675x10^-22 = 3.74x10^20 particles

B. In what layer of the atmosphere was this sample of air likely taken from (you can assume a sea level temperature of 15C)?

3.74x10^20 particles/ 6.02x10^23 particlees/mol = 6.21 moles

P = [(6.21 mol)(0.08206L•atm/mol•K)(288K)]/1L = 0.015 atm ... Aaaaand that's where I get stuck,

I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to use the equation:
P(h) = P(0) x e^-Mgh/RT

Where:
P(h) = pressure at any given height
P(0) =pressure at sea level
M = 28.97 g/mol
g = 9.81 m/s^2
R = 0.08206 L•atm/K•mol

And solve for h to determine the height my particle is at and then reference atmospheric layers but... I have too many extra variables...

Physics news on Phys.org
Jilly said:
A. Given that the average diameter of all particles in a sample is 16 nm, te density of all particles is 1.25 x 10^-4 g/cm^3, and the density of the sample of air is 100 microgram/cm^3, how many particles are in 1 L of this air sample?

V(particle) =2.14x10^-18 cm^3
x density = 2.675x10^-22 g

1 L = 1000cm^3
1000cm^3x100microgram/cm^3 = 100000 microgram= 0.1g

0.1g/2.675x10^-22 = 3.74x10^20 particles

B. In what layer of the atmosphere was this sample of air likely taken from (you can assume a sea level temperature of 15C)?

3.74x10^20 particles/ 6.02x10^23 particlees/mol = 6.21 moles
How do your get 6.21 moles from 3.74*1020 particles / 6.02*1023 particles/mol?

An order of magnitude calculation suggests n = 1020 / 1023, which is nowhere close to 6.

Apologies, misread on the calc.

The Calc for pressure is still 0.015.
Number of moles should equal 0.000621

Jilly said:
P = [(6.21 mol)(0.08206L•atm/mol•K)(288K)]/1L = 0.015 atm ... Aaaaand that's where I get stuck,

I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to use the equation:
P(h) = P(0) x e^-Mgh/RT

Where:
P(h) = pressure at any given height
P(0) =pressure at sea level
M = 28.97 g/mol
g = 9.81 m/s^2
R = 0.08206 L•atm/K•mol

And solve for h to determine the height my particle is at and then reference atmospheric layers but... I have too many extra variables...

Which extra variables do you have which are preventing you from finding the altitude?

Well, in order to calculate for 'h' I'd need P(h), and Temperature at P(h) ...

I just don't understand what I'm not seeing to solve this... What am I missing? =\

SteamKing said:
What does the 0.015 atm from your calculations represent?

As far as figuring out from which layer of the atmosphere the sample came, you could always use the Barometric Formula:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barometric_formula
The equation I posted is equation 2 on that page.

Jilly said:
The equation I posted is equation 2 on that page.
Then, if you read that page carefully and check the definition of the variables for equation 2, you'll find that you know all that you need in order to find the altitude where the sample could have been taken. :smile:

Remember, the pressure of 0.015 atm. is the pressure at altitude. If you carefully list all of the variables and their values, you'll find that altitude is the only one which is unknown.

Hmmmm
0.015 is pressure at sea level...

so 0.015 should be P(0)

Is it that I'm simply misunderstanding the question and I should assume that temperature of 15C is constant? But how would I find pressure at the height the particle is at? And if I'm not assuming the temperature is constant (since in real life it obviously wouldn't be) how do I calculate that? I'm pretty sure I'm just not understanding the information given...

Jilly said:
Hmmmm
0.015 is pressure at sea level...

so 0.015 should be P(0)

Really? I thought the pressure at sea level on Earth was, you know, 1 atmosphere. It's kinda like a definition, or something.

Read Post #9 more carefully, especially the last two sentences.

Is it that I'm simply misunderstanding the question and I should assume that temperature of 15C is constant? But how would I find pressure at the height the particle is at? And if I'm not assuming the temperature is constant (since in real life it obviously wouldn't be) how do I calculate that? I'm pretty sure I'm just not understanding the information given...

From the Wiki article on the Barometric Formula:

There are two different equations for computing pressure at various height regimes below 86 km (or 278,400 feet). The first equation is used when the value of standard temperature lapse rate is not equal to zero; the second equation is used when standard temperature lapse rate equals zero.

The lapse rate is defined as the rate at which atmospheric temperature decreases with increase in altitude.

Equation 1:

8d7d6f94a14ff782b294356960b3c3b9.png

Equation 2:

ffd268c00fb0afdd3ccc307436a73ebc.png

Read the quoted section above carefully. You should have enough information now to solve your problem. :smile:

Q: What is the formula for finding the height of an air sample with 6.21 moles of particles at 15°C?

The formula for finding the height of an air sample is:
h = (nRT)/(Pμ)
Where:
h = height of the air sample in meters
n = number of moles of particles
R = gas constant (8.314 J/mol*K)
T = temperature in Kelvin
P = pressure of the air sample in Pascals
μ = average molar mass of the particles in kg/mol

Q: How do I convert the temperature from Celsius to Kelvin?

To convert from Celsius to Kelvin, simply add 273.15 to the temperature in Celsius.
For example, 15°C = 15 + 273.15 = 288.15 K.

Q: Can this formula be used for any type of gas particles?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of gas particles as long as the molar mass (μ) is known. The average molar mass can be calculated by taking the sum of the molar masses of each individual gas particle type and dividing it by the total number of particles.

Q: Is this formula accurate for all altitudes?

This formula is most accurate for lower altitudes where the pressure and temperature do not vary significantly. However, for higher altitudes where the air is less dense and the temperature may be lower, this formula may not be as accurate.

Q: Can this formula be used to find the height of any air sample?

Yes, this formula can be used to find the height of any air sample as long as the necessary variables (n, R, T, P, μ) are known. However, for more complex air samples with varying temperatures and pressures, a more advanced formula or method may be needed.