Why do Bubbles oscillate sinusoidally?

• I
  • Thread starter Trying2Learn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bubbles
In summary, the conversation discusses the occurrence of bubbles in carbonated drinks and the observation of a sinusoidal oscillation in the trail of bubbles when the bottle is opened and closed. The individual is unsure of why this happens and shares a link to a visual demonstration of the phenomenon. Another person suggests that it could be due to the Kármán vortex street effect.
Trying2Learn
TL;DR Summary
Why do bubbles appear to oscillate sinusoidally?
I understand why bubbles come from the same spot (nucleation sites) -- not the issue.

My issue is WHY does THIS happen? I open a bottle of carbonated water, pour a bit and then close the top.

Why does the trail of bubbles oscillate sinusoidally, on the way up?

(Now, here is the problem: I do not know how to upload the mp4 file I made. So I took a snapshot. This snapshot does not do justice. But you can see a few trails "turning." Please trust me: they are oscillating left and right in almost a perfect sinusoid.)

Attachments

• Skjermbilde.JPG
    Skjermbilde.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 145
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is another snapshot

Attachments

• Skjermbilde2.JPG
    Skjermbilde2.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 143

1. Why do bubbles form in the first place?

Bubbles are formed when air or gas is trapped inside a thin film of liquid. This can happen naturally through processes like evaporation or agitation, or artificially through blowing or agitation.

2. What causes bubbles to oscillate in a sinusoidal pattern?

The oscillation of bubbles is caused by the surface tension of the liquid. When a bubble is formed, the surface tension pulls the liquid inwards, creating a spherical shape. However, as the air inside the bubble expands, it pushes against the surface tension, causing the bubble to stretch and become thinner. This creates a force that pulls the bubble back towards its original shape, resulting in the sinusoidal oscillation.

3. Can the size or shape of a bubble affect its oscillation pattern?

Yes, the size and shape of a bubble can affect its oscillation pattern. A larger bubble will have a longer period of oscillation and a lower frequency, while a smaller bubble will have a shorter period and a higher frequency. Additionally, bubbles with irregular shapes may have more complex oscillation patterns.

4. Are there any other factors that can influence the oscillation of bubbles?

Yes, there are several other factors that can affect the oscillation of bubbles. The type of liquid and its surface tension, the temperature, and the presence of impurities can all impact the oscillation pattern. Additionally, external forces such as wind or vibrations can also affect the oscillation of bubbles.

5. Can bubbles oscillate in other patterns besides sinusoidal?

Yes, bubbles can oscillate in other patterns besides sinusoidal. Depending on the specific conditions and characteristics of the bubble, it may exhibit other types of oscillation, such as chaotic or irregular patterns. These patterns may be influenced by factors such as the shape and size of the bubble, as well as external forces acting upon it.