Why do Colleges Want "Well Rounded" Students?

• Admissions
  • Thread starter YoshiMoshi
  • Start date
bhobba said:
I still do not get this concern with Harvard.
We were just using Harvard as the poster child for some of the controversy about admissions to highly ranked schools.

Likes bhobba
Physics news on Phys.org
Harvard is. after all. the second-best college in Cambridge, Massachusetts,

• Haha
  • Love
Likes DaveE, StatGuy2000, vela and 3 others
Vanadium 50 said:
Harvard is. after all. the second-best college in Cambridge, Massachusetts,

No prizes for guessing the best :DD:DD:DD:DD:DD

Thanks
Bill

Likes berkeman
Why would this be true? This would only seem compelling in selective universities. In other universities, they'll take students who can afford the tuition.

CookieSalesman said:
Why would this be true? This would only seem compelling in selective universities. In other universities, they'll take students who can afford the tuition.
<<Emphasis added>> There are 73 posts prior to yours. What does your "this" refer to?

Likes Vanadium 50
I went to an ordinary college then transferred to an elite one. The quality of education was the same but the student body was very different.

Hornbein said:
I went to an ordinary college then transferred to an elite one. The quality of education was the same but the student body was very different.
Oh, your reply is open to so many tempting one liners. :oldbiggrin:

Likes WWGD
  • Haha
  • Love
Likes bhobba and CrysPhys
mathwonk said:
@bhobba: my guess: Lesley?
How positively bizarre! Some strange delayed telepathy going on. When Reply #73 was first posted, I was right on the verge of replying "Lesley?" (even though I graduated from the same school in Cambridge that V50 did). Many decades ago, Lesley University was Lesley College, known as an elite college for future elementary school teachers. It still resonates with me today because one of the most beautiful women I've ever met in my entire life was a student there (...long wistful sigh...).

Last edited:
Likes mathwonk and bhobba
CrysPhys said:
because one of the most beautiful women I've ever met in my entire life was a student there
I think you are using a different definition of "well-rounded" than the OP.

• Love
  • Haha
Likes Office_Shredder, bhobba, gwnorth and 1 other person
1000004140.jpg

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes pinball1970, Mondayman, bhobba and 2 others
Since this thread has drifted into a...more Cambridge, Massachusetts-oriented direction...

An engineer and a maiden were sitting in a park
The engineer was working on some research after dark
His scientific method was a marvel to observe
While his right hand checked the figures, his left hand traced the curves,

(from the MIT Engineers Drinking Song)

• Haha
Likes berkeman and bhobba
In order to keep out Jews, without explicitly saying so?
Back in 19th...early 20th century, many elite colleges had exams based on academic criteria. The universities saw what they thought a problem - Jews were too smart and got too many places. So they moved the goalposts to be less transparent and keep Jews out without visibly showing it. (Same issue with Asians).

Just to add, private universities want to accept students who have a higher probability of becoming wealthy donors after graduation.

Likes jedishrfu
snorkack said:
Back in 19th...early 20th century, many elite colleges had exams based on academic criteria. The universities saw what they thought a problem - Jews were too smart and got too many places. So they moved the goalposts to be less transparent and keep Jews out without visibly showing it. (Same issue with Asians).
Feynman was rejected on this basis from Columbia in the 30s, he ended up doing his PhD somewhere else.

Likes jedishrfu
snorkack said:
Wait, are you saying Jews are not "well rounded?" Seriously?

gmax137 said:
With 22% of Nobel prizes yet only 0.175% of the population,I think they are good!

pinball1970 said:
Feynman was rejected on this basis from Columbia in the 30s, he ended up doing his PhD somewhere else.
Rejected from Columbia undergrad, he went to MIT instead. He did his PhD at Princeton.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Feynman

• Informative
Likes pinball1970
gmax137 said:
Well, the people who came up with "well rounded" in 1920s chose to define "well-rounded" in such a way as to be able to keep Jews out.
Not a coincidence that these people also engaged in a witchhunt against professional athletes.

Thread is closed for Moderation...

Since this long thread is wandering off into territory we'd rather not visit, it will remain closed. Thanks folks.

Likes Bystander