Why do concerts not impact the way we see light?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ThunderLight
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Impact Light Sound
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 2K views
ThunderLight
Messages
27
Reaction score
2
If concert environments are saturated with sound, why don't we witness a change in light colours (frequency shift) or reflection or any other effect witnessed in laboratory experiments documenting acoustic-optic effects?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Those acousto-optical effects require that both the light and the sound be traveling through specific mediums such as ultrasonic gratings. Light and sound do not normally interact significantly in the air at a concert.
 
Drakkith said:
Those acousto-optical effects require that both the light and the sound be traveling through specific mediums such as ultrasonic gratings. Light and sound do not normally interact significantly in the air at a concert.

That's what I originally thought. However, an IEEE paper and other papers did experiments on the interaction in air. So this further confused me. - For those who can't access the paper in IEEE - It is a paper which reports the measurements of Sound Pressure via the acoustic-optic effect in air with a laser. And the interaction is confirmed.
 
I can't read the full text, but I think the authors just measured the amount of acousto-optical effect the air has. I expect it is very low.
 
Drakkith said:
I can't read the full text, but I think the authors just measured the amount of acousto-optical effect the air has. I expect it is very low.

The conclusion of the paper says: "Sound pressure was able to be measured by a laser doppler velocimeter through the optical phase modulation due to the acoustic-optic effect of air"

So it's not so insignificant as to not cause any phase change.

But perhaps not strong to influence the frequency.
 
[PLAIN]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acousto-optics said:
In[/PLAIN] general, acousto-optic effects are based on the change of the refractive index of a medium due to the presence of sound waves in that medium. Sound waves produce a refractive index grating in the material, and it is this grating that is "seen" by the light wave.[6] These variations in the refractive index, due to the pressure fluctuations, may be detected optically by refraction, diffraction, and interference effects,[7] reflection may also be used.

Neat stuff, but I think the answer is simple. Laser measurements can be much more sensitive than human sensory organs.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
If you want to see an opto acoustic effect, stand at some distance from a crt computer monitor (several metres) and whistle or hum. It can often produce the impression of moving bars on the display. The effect needs a scanned display, in my experience and doesn't seem to work up close (for me). It's not Physics, tho'. It's in your head.
 
sophiecentaur said:
. It's not Physics, tho'. It's in your head.

That sounds cool. Do you mean that it makes your eyes bounce up and down?

Like everything else human, I believe that human abilities vary widely between individuals. I've heard that artists can be trained to resolve more colors than most people. I'm not surprised that some people can see stroboscopic effects that others can't see.

It is also a good age test. If you know what the horizontal hold and vertical hold knobs on a TV were for, you are an old fart. :woot:
 
anorlunda said:
Do you mean that it makes your eyes bounce up and down?
I think so. I noticed it when eating crunchy stuff in front of some displays. Or when when using an electric tooth brush.
 
Last edited:
ThunderLight said:
If concert environments are saturated with sound, why don't we witness a change in light colours (frequency shift) or reflection or any other effect witnessed in laboratory experiments documenting acoustic-optic effects?

You need higher intensity to see those with the naked eye:

http://images.slideplayer.com/21/6283886/slides/slide_27.jpg

Click on image below for full scale:

HMnow.jpg
More discussion:
http://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...adient-in-a-shock-wave-of-supersonic-aircraft
 
The paper mentions that they use "a strong ultrasonic field" to measure the effect.
The measured value of the acoustic pressure was 610 Pa.
For a sound in air this corresponds to an intensity of about 460 W/m^2 or over 145 decibels.
This level is unlikely to be encountered in a concert hall, even if it's a hard rock band.
But even at this level you need a sensitive instrument to measure the Doppler shift. They are talking about velocities produced by the sound in the order of mm/s.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn