Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do electromagnetic waves reflect

1. Sep 10, 2012 #1
    I have seen the retarded potentials and what not, but what has always bothered me is why these field solutions reflect when they meet surfaces.
    I have looked and looked, but there seem to be no analytical explanations for this, only empirical ones.
    So my gripe is, since electromagnetic waves are nothing but EM fields, why do they reflect and diffract.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2012 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The theoretical explanation within classical Maxwell theory is that the fields must fulfill boundary conditions at the surface where two media join each other. From this you get, e.g., the laws of refraction and reflection in transparent media (dielectrics). This is treated in textbooks on electrodynamics and/or optics. Look for "Fresnel formulae".

4. Sep 13, 2012 #3

morrobay

Gold Member

5. Sep 13, 2012 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Or "Fresnel equations". A Google search for that term gives many hits. Some include derivations from Maxwell's equations.

6. Sep 13, 2012 #5
    Doesn't anyone want to ...(oh never mind)...

7. Sep 15, 2012 #6

morrobay

Gold Member

Fresnel's Laws apply to transparent materials. What about reflection from opaque objects ?
    In post #3 above I reference a post by Antiphon. How would this classical explanation apply
    or be modified for reflection from opaque object : Incidence = Absorbed+Reflected

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  8. Sep 16, 2012 #7
    reflection from a surface or refraction has it's basis in the material itself.it is related to the plasma frequency of the metal.if the light which falls on a surface has frequency greater than plasma frequency will be transmitted but lower will be reflected.these things belong to solid state physics.you can see, kittel for it and also feynman lectures vol.2(last 1/4 of book).Also here is a link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasmon

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook