Why Do Glass Plates with Water Not Separate Under Weight but Slide Easily?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Himal kharel
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Liquid Plates
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Himal kharel
Messages
79
Reaction score
0
1. I took two glass plates with a thin film of water trapped in it. One of plates had hook in it. Weights were hung in it. I found that these plates didn't separate until weights of about 2-3 kg was applied.
2.But if slided, it moved easily.
I can explain observation no. 2. It is because the liquid film reduces friction.
Can anyone explain observation no. 1?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The first case is due to surface tension.a situation which is caused due to the intermolecular forces such as adhesive and cohesive forces.It is responsible for holding the water or any other.another example is the capillary action