1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do I find engineering math textbooks much more understandable?

1. Oct 13, 2007 #1
    In many of the topics in math i hav learned so far, i just found that engin textbooks such as <advanced engin math> are much more understandable and yet covering similar depth of contents than mathematic methods book such as aftken&weber which my teacher choose as reference book for e course.
    I think the latter is of so much worthless words that only makes the topic harder but not its usability.. Any way why learn anything thats not useful if I'm not a math major?

Does that mean I'm not suitable for science studies such as the physics major I'm taking now?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2007 #2
    I have that too. Interesting question.
  4. Oct 13, 2007 #3
    You think arfken and webber is overly verbose?

They hardly explain anything. The only way to learn from that book is to do problems IMO.
  5. Oct 13, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Different books [styles, content, motivations, etc... ] appeal to different people [possibly, at different times in their lives]. So it depends on what you are after. Some would regard all of these "engineering math" and "math methods" books as "cookbooks" mainly useful for looking things up. For an "end-user", they might be sufficient... but for real understanding, one needs to go beyond these types of books.
  6. Oct 13, 2007 #5

yrp, i think a&w is merely a summary style text.. i can hardly learn anything from it no matter how hard i tried.. i am begining to regret buying it..

anyway i think boas did a better job in explaining.. but boas spent too much words of explaining while simple words can do the same..

i kind liked wiley.. any body read that book before? i think its the most engin style book i hav read.. liked it very much..
  7. Oct 14, 2007 #6

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Echoing what robphy said, Engineering books lack proper mathematical rigor ={ Which may be why they are easier to understand sometimes, because too much rigor can cloud intuition. I've seen many times when a simple relation that can be shown easily by some algebraic manipulation, has to go through a long induction proof to prove formally. To get the best of both worlds, cross reference both books, bringing understanding to rigor is the best thing a student can have.
  8. Oct 14, 2007 #7
    I think non-rigorous approach is good for developing intuition, but sometimes it just confuses people. May be the best is to read non-rigorous text until the point you feel confused and then read rigorous text to clarify things. It is like difference between proofs in physics and proofs in math.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?