Why do my newer laptops run cooler then previous laptops?

• Thread starter mrspeedybob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cooler
In summary, laptops have become more efficient in terms of power management, resulting in less heat being produced. This is due to advancements in technology such as efficient components, variable voltage and frequency designs, and power gating. The driving factor for these advancements is the need for longer battery life and lower battery costs. This has led to a noticeable difference in temperature between newer laptops, such as HP, and older ones, such as Toshiba and Dell.
mrspeedybob
The last 2 laptops that I've bought (both HP) run noticeably cooler then previous laptops that I've owned (Toshiba and Dell). In fact I feel no heat on my legs at all from either of them. Did some new technology come along in the last few years that allows the batteries to produce less heat or allow the machine to use less current? Or is HP just better about temperature management then other manufacturers?

Is this a difference between manufacturers or a difference between newer and older technology?
In either case, what IS the difference?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Efficient power management has always been an issue for laptops, so all the manufacturers have been working on improving efficiency of components.
I think you are just talking of overall improvements in technology rather than that a particular manufacturer is strides ahead of the others.

At one time, processors were running constantly but now, when there's nothing important going on, a processor will slow right down. Each cycle in the processor is allowing some charge to pass from the power supply and this (E=QV ) Energy needs to be dissipated. Fewer cycles per second will mean less power dissipation. Also, turning its peripheral circuits off can help significantly. An LED lit screen will use less current than the old CFL back-lit screens, too.
Mobile phones get very warm when you are playing a processor-intensive game and it's not just the screen that's using the current. That's a good reason to not be playing Candy Crush Saga every hour God sends. Haha.

The internal resistance of the battery could also count in the heating effect. I wonder whether Lion batteries happen to have a lower internal resistance than NiCAds, too? I'd bet some PF member would know about that ?

Likes PWiz
The thermal interface paste between the CPU/GPU and cooling system has not yet dried and shrank away from the contact surfaces. More basically, the radiator fins have not yet clogged with dust and hairballs.

Likes jedishrfu
Low power design technology has made huge progress in recent years, especially the available tools.

Variable voltage designs, variable frequency designs, clock gating, power gating of complete functional blocks, etc have all been applied to the latest processors and peripheral controllers. Also the smaller IC geometries consume less dynamic power and leakage power is controlled.

The driving factor is debatable, but is largely battery life and battery costs. The end result is a cooler lap(top).

Why do my newer laptops run cooler than previous laptops?

The cooling system of a laptop is designed to regulate the temperature of the internal components, specifically the CPU and GPU, to prevent overheating which can cause damage or decrease performance. As technology advances, laptops are becoming smaller and more powerful, leading to higher heat generation. Manufacturers have implemented new technologies and designs to improve the cooling system and keep the laptop running at a cooler temperature.

What are some of the new technologies used to keep newer laptops cooler?

Some of the new technologies used in newer laptops include improved heat sinks, better thermal paste, and more efficient fans. Heat sinks are now made with materials that have a higher thermal conductivity, such as copper or aluminum, to better dissipate heat. Thermal paste, which is applied between the CPU/GPU and heat sink, has also improved to better transfer heat. Additionally, manufacturers are using more efficient fans that can move more air at a lower RPM, reducing noise and increasing cooling.

Do newer laptops have better ventilation systems?

Yes, newer laptops often have better ventilation systems to improve airflow and keep the internal components cooler. This can include larger vents, strategically placed air intakes, and even multiple fans. Some laptops also utilize liquid cooling systems, which can be more efficient than traditional air cooling.

What are the consequences of a laptop running at a high temperature?

Running a laptop at a high temperature can lead to decreased performance, shortened lifespan of components, and even permanent damage. When a laptop overheats, it can cause the CPU or GPU to throttle, reducing their speed and potentially causing the laptop to freeze or crash. Over time, constant high temperatures can also damage the internal components, leading to a shorter lifespan for the laptop.

Are there any steps I can take to keep my laptop running cooler?

Yes, there are several steps you can take to keep your laptop running cooler. These include regularly cleaning the vents and fans to remove dust and debris, using a laptop cooling pad, avoiding using the laptop on soft surfaces that can block airflow, and adjusting the power settings to reduce the load on the CPU and GPU. It is also important to ensure that the laptop is not exposed to extreme temperatures and is kept in a well-ventilated area.