Why do people misunderstand each other sometimes?

• Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date
In summary, people can misunderstand each other because of the way they communicate or false expectations.
honestrosewater said:
What's with you banana haters? Sure, bananas aren't as refreshing as oranges, as juicy as mangos, or as sexy as strawberries, but when you're in the mood for mush, there's nothing better! :!)
Wow oranges! :!)

Physics news on Phys.org
You love oranges too?!? I LOVE oranges! :!) We have the best oranges here in Florida. And don't worry, http://www.thebigzoo.com/animals/zoom/Pan_troglodytes_001.asp :approve:

honestrosewater said:
You love oranges too?!? I LOVE oranges! :!) We have the best oranges here in Florida. And don't worry, http://www.thebigzoo.com/animals/zoom/Pan_troglodytes_001.asp :approve:
I prefer they wouldn't like oranges!:wink:

*lick's Rose's head*
*waits for banana*

TheStatutoryApe said:
*lick's Rose's head*
*waits for banana*
Egad! Here, dive in.
http://xs44.xs.to/pics/05355/BANANAS.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
honestrosewater said:
You love oranges too?!? I LOVE oranges! :!) We have the best oranges here in Florida.
I loved oranges as a child and would always ask Santa to bring me one for Christmas. I'd always get an orange in my stocking. :approve:

My aunt and uncle own orange groves in Florida. Oh man, I love driving around there when the orange trees are in blossom. :!) :!) :!)

Oh, yes, the blossoms are so pretty and fragrant. Mmmm... We only have one tree. It has the best navels though. Mmmm... I can't wait for winter. I think they are best in the spring, but I sneak some early. One more... mmmm... :!)

honestrosewater said:
http://xs44.xs.to/pics/05355/BANANAS.jpg
[/URL]
:yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

honest!rosewater! You don't know I dislike bananas.
Happy Birthday to you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lisa! said:
:yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

honest!rosewater! You don't know I dislike bananas.
Happy Birthday to you!
Hehe, thank you! :wink:
Maybe you should try typing blindfolded again. :cool:

honestrosewater said:
Hehe, thank you! :wink:

Rose has a birth day today ? why the secret ?

honestrosewater said:
You mean I should borrow Russ' sunglasses? :cool:

Lisa! said:
I just read all replies and I notice that you didn't understand what I was asking about. I'm talking about people who speak the same language in whole their lives(not for example En as a second language), but they still misunderstand each other! Perhaps the problem isn't even because of words. As I said you're talking to 5 people and 3 of them understand you well but the rest misunderstand you!

You always say if people misunderstand me ... and try to speak about my case!

Lisa,
Hi,i think i have understood what you are pointing to.! :smile:
So I would like to share my views too.
Misunderstanding exists because it has to exist,there are some barriers which are there,you can minimise them but you can't completely remove them.We need to ask for clarifications until we understand each other completely.I can remember a nice example.

A teacher wanted to understand his students the ill effects of drinking Liquor..
So he thought of an activity which can be shown to depict this.What he did-he brought an jar containing worms and an liquor bottle.He filled an container with liquor and started dropping worms in it,one by one.Each of the worm died and then he saw one student very focussed in watching him and then he asked him to explain this.
The student stood up and said -Sir,we should drink liquor every day to kill the worms present inside out body.

So Lisa,what will you say about this.! :biggrin:

heman said:
Lisa,
Hi,i think i have understood what you are pointing to.! :smile:
So I would like to share my views too.
Misunderstanding exists because it has to exist,there are some barriers which are there,you can minimise them but you can't completely remove them.We need to ask for clarifications until we understand each other completely.I can remember a nice example.

A teacher wanted to understand his students the ill effects of drinking Liquor..
So he thought of an activity which can be shown to depict this.What he did-he brought an jar containing worms and an liquor bottle.He filled an container with liquor and started dropping worms in it,one by one.Each of the worm died and then he saw one student very focussed in watching him and then he asked him to explain this.
The student stood up and said -Sir,we should drink liquor every day to kill the worms present inside out body.

So Lisa,what will you say about this.! :biggrin:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Very clever student!
Good point! Actually this kind of misunderstanding isn't bad sometimes. Perhaps it's not misunderstanding. Whenever people get a new point in your speech, it's interesting and sometimes it could be useful for you too.

wolram said:
Rose has a birth day today ? why the secret ?
It's not a very secretive kind of a secret - it's listed on the homepage. :wink: Lisa! and I just like to keep open secrets.
Lisa! said:
You mean I should borrow Russ' sunglasses? :cool:
They are also now hypnagogue's safety goggles. They get a lot of use around here.

How can anyone not like bananas? :grumpy:

It happens all the time, i think conversations are a mutual misunderstanding...

Sometimes it's great because a conversation is a mutual sharing process, and in the end both people leave comfortable having shared something and returned with something new in their heads, ut that doesn't mean that they really understood each other...But that's enough for me.

Sometimes it's bugging because people just don't want to listen and don't want to compromise, don't want to understand u, what's on their minds, is on their minds...So no matter what u say, they'll understand it in their own way, and u leave feeling that u should never ever open ur mouth and talk again...

Daminc said:

I hate bananas and anyone who likes them.

*pulls out his sword*

Bring it on :devil: :devil:

Daminc said:

Did someone say bananas :!)

Pengwuino said:
I hate bananas and anyone who likes them.

*pulls out his sword*

Bring it on :devil: :devil:

*pulls out a frozen banana*
Have at thee varlet. Thy uncouth mannerisms and foul taste shall be tempered with the might of a banana.

:yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck:...:yuck:

IF I KNEW THIS THREAD ENDED UP WITH BANANAS, I'D NEVER START IT!:cry::cry:

Lisa! said:
IF I KNEW THIS THREAD ENDED UP WITH BANANAS, I'D NEVER START IT!
Perhaps there's been a misunderstanding :rofl: :rofl:

Nomy-the wanderer said:
It happens all the time, i think conversations are a mutual misunderstanding...

Sometimes it's great because a conversation is a mutual sharing process, and in the end both people leave comfortable having shared something and returned with something new in their heads, ut that doesn't mean that they really understood each other...But that's enough for me.

Sometimes it's bugging because people just don't want to listen and don't want to compromise, don't want to understand u, what's on their minds, is on their minds...So no matter what u say, they'll understand it in their own way,
Yeah, I agree with you. I don't know :rofl: or :cry: in these situations.

and u leave feeling that u should never ever open ur mouth and talk again...
Or perhaps type! :grumpy: :wink:

Daminc said:
*pulls out a frozen banana*
Have at thee varlet. Thy uncouth mannerisms and foul taste shall be tempered with the might of a banana.
I never said I don't like the occasional banana fight.
*Slaps Daminc with a banana*

Two words: banana bread. Oh, good god - BANANA BREAD! How long has it been? Why hast I forsaken thee, oh fruity loaf?!?

arildno said:
I never said I don't like the occasional banana fight.
*Slaps Daminc with a banana*
I'm game! [Hurls banana from some distance towards arildno's head, it hits home, u-turns, then returns to my waiting hand]

Banana, banana!
I'll disarm that guy!
*Rushes after the flying banana, is about to overtake it, but stumbles, face slamming into El Hombre's crotch*

Hey guys, do you like to fish?

Banana is better than fish.

It's fun esp. when you go fishing by a boat. You don't have to eat fishes that you catch.

arildno said:
Banana, banana!
I'll disarm that guy!
*Rushes after the flying banana, is about to overtake it, but stumbles, face slamming into El Hombre's crotch*
Geddoff me banana!

El Hombre Invisible said:
Geddoff me banana!
Sorry, my mistake, won't happen again. Do you want my banana, as a peace offering?

Last edited:
:yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

I hope all of people who talk about banana, step on one and slip! :grumpy: :devil:

Banana, bread and nutella :D

Beware arildno, I've just ordered a stealth banana to be launched.

Banana, bread and nutella
Funnily enough I had one of those about three weeks ago.

Daminc said:
Beware arildno, I've just ordered a stealth banana to be launched.
Am I in danger of getting stabbed in the back all of a sudden?