Why do r and F need to be perpendicular for two angles to give the same torque?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ronnin
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Angles Torque
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Ronnin
Messages
168
Reaction score
1
Unless r and F are perpendicular, there are always two angles between their directions that give the same torque for given magnitudes of r and F. Explain why?

Perhaps I cannot visualize the question, but I cannot see how this can be. As the force moves to the perpendicular position the torque increases. Am I missing something?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the definition of torque. If one angle between the p.v and force vector is theta, what about the other?

Edit: I guess this holds only for the magnitude of the torque.
 
Last edited:
[tex]\tau = rF \sin \theta[/tex]

[tex]sin \theta = \sin (\pi - \theta)[/tex]​

:smile:
 
I guess I figured that would put the angle outside of between the two angles.