Why do so many people take so many notes?

• Thread starter DeadWolfe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notes
In summary: Draw a picture of the problem on the board.2. Have the students write down their thoughts on the board as we go.3. Solve the problem.4. If needed, have the students write down the steps that they took to solve the problem.5. Once everyone has had a chance to solve the problem, have them share their solutions with one another.In summary, the student takes copious notes in order to better understand the material being presented, as well as to be able to solve the problem on their own.
Dr Transport said:
I take notes in a class, or for that matter when I read a book to help organize my thoughts IN MY HEAD. Years after I took a course and was forced to revisit a subject long forgotten, right now I am having to remeber all of my Fourier Optics and electronics to help design and build a device which I hope to patent at some time, my notes are helping to bring it back into my head quickly and without too much aggravation. The original poster appears to be either still in high school or in the first couple of years of university. The lack of careful note taking may just jump up and bite him/her because they will not have these carefully prepared documents in their arsenal of tricks etc...

This is the reason I'm learning to take better notes, not in class notes, but book notes, class notes, and anyting else for that matter because this is the best for long term. I can survive in most classes wihtout taking notes at all but when classes or projects start getting complicated, i think this is the way to go to maximize your time. Taking good notes also helps you figure the algorithm for most problems in classes anyways :tongue2:

Physics news on Phys.org
You do whatever suits you, for me - I find then when I write down something, I can remember things better... Even when I am reading a physics book, sometimes I take a notebook and copy what it says in the book, because somehow - I can remember it.

When I was an undergrad, I took copious notes. Whenever someone had a question about something they couldn't remember from lecture, they'd come to me. However, I didn't just write everything the prof said without listening, like many students do, but was organizing the notes into outlines as I was writing it, so it was also quick to skim for content when I needed something later. I've found that there are sometimes things that seem completely obvious, but when you go back later, realize it isn't quite as obvious as you first thought. This is where plentiful notes come in handy.

You'd also be amazed at how much of what you don't continue to use, you eventually forget. For me, it's that stuff that has become most useful to have notes on. I've kept my notes from a few classes, and they are an easier reference than the textbooks. For example, we covered far more statistics in my statistics class than I have ever needed to use since then, but when I'm designing a new experiment and need to consider a design I don't frequently use, it helps to go back to those notes and remind myself of just what comparisons are allowable and what the limitations and assumptions need to be.

As I gained more familiarity with subjects, I could do a lot more shorthand in my notes, and didn't need to write down as much.

I'm also one of those people who remembers things better if I've written it. There are just different learning styles for different people. Some learn by reading, some by listening, some by doing, some by writing. I learn best by doing, writing and talking about it later (actually, that has always been the way I learn best, to discuss answers with other people...conversation on a topic really sticks with me). It makes it more active learning rather than passive for me.

However, some people just take tons of notes because they aren't really listening and are hoping they'll figure it out later. They're the ones that are fun to play with as a lecturer. You can tell strange stories and jokes and while most of the class is laughing (or groaning), there are those who are busy scribbling down your jokes. :rofl:

Moonbear said:
They're the ones that are fun to play with as a lecturer. You can tell strange stories and jokes and while most of the class is laughing (or groaning), there are those who are busy scribbling down your jokes. :rofl:

I'm going to remember that for future use.