Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do some elements require melting for them to bond

1. Sep 13, 2007 #1
    Why do some elements, particularly the heavy ones, require melting for them to bond with other elements to create metals containing differing atoms? What role does temperature play in the form, conform, and inconform states of elements? And what role do the elements play in requiring temperature? Does weight have any thing to do with it?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2007 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Most chemical reactions "come" with an activation energy barrier. This energy can be provided thermally, increasing the reaction rate.

These are not terms used by chemists or physicists -to the best of my knowledge - and are hence meaningless to me.

Elements play no role in "requiring temperature".

Your questions are too vague and ill-defined. One can either treat them at face value and provide the trivial answer (as I did above) or spend countless hours figuring out what you meant. The thing about science is that all parts of it are well-defined, or at least, well described. It becomes difficult to answer questions that use terms that are neither commonplace in scientific literature nor defined within the post.

I'll reiterate something I've said before that you didn't seem to like: the only good way to really answer your questions is through a ground-up study of physics and chemistry. Getting semi-answers to semi-questions without a fundamental knowledge of the field is a complete waste of time and energy.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  4. Sep 16, 2007 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Most elements are in solid form at room temperature, except for the noble gases, F, Cl, H, N, O and liquid metal Hg.

When one refers to 'creating metals', is one referring to alloys which are a mixture of different metal elements. Heating a metal increases the atomic diffusion, and in liquids the atomic diffusion is very high compared with solids. Also, the chemistry (atomic electron structure) and atomic diameter are important factors. Some alloys are substitional, while others interstitial.

As Gokul indicated, the terms of conform and inconform do not meet with convention (and appear to be one's own terminology) and are therefore meaningless unless defined. Please use conventional terms.

See the above discussion on atomic diffusion. Also, some metals for stoichiometric intermetallic compounds which had significantly different metal temperatures, e.g. Zr silicide, than the base solid solution.

5. Sep 16, 2007 #4
    bromine is also a liquid at STP

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?