Why do systematic uncertainties disappear using ratios?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of ratio bin-by-bin in order to cancel out uncertainties related to luminosity and trigger efficiency when performing a physics analysis. The speaker also mentions that a common scale factor should not have a significant effect on the distribution. However, it is noted that uncertainties that depend on the variable being analyzed may not be constant. The conversation concludes by suggesting the use of toys to test and verify the assumptions made in the bin-by-bin ratio method.
Photonino
Hello,

I often hear the phrase "Well, since you are taking a ratio bin-by-bin, you don't have to care about the luminosity syst. uncertainty and the trigger efficiency syst. uncertainty".

I think I understand qualitatively why this is the case (It cancels out in the ratio, since both quantities are affected by the same uncertainty), but I would like to double check whether this intuition is correct and to what extent this statement is correct when performing a physics analysis.

Thank you very much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you try it out with toys?
Thing is that a common scale factor is not going to affect much your distribution. If the ratio for example is [itex]\frac{N_{pass}}{N_{tot}}[/itex] an uncertainty that will affect their normalization by 10% is going to give you [itex]\frac{1.1N_{pass}}{1.1N_{tot}} = \frac{N_{pass}}{N_{tot}}[/itex].
I don't have a quantitive explanation for uncertainties that depend on the variable at which you are looking at, but I think the assumption at bin-by-bin ratio is supposed to assume that within a bin the uncertainty can be considered a constant.
Now to what extend this is true- well I'd say you cannot tell beforehand... the rigorous way would be to try it out and show that it's giving a negligible outcome [compared to other uncertainties].

For the trigger efficiency you'll have to verify that the same efficiency applies to both numerator and denominator. For the luminosity uncertainty this is basically always the case - unless the datasets you compare are from different years or something like that.

Likes BvU

1. Why do systematic uncertainties disappear when using ratios?

Systematic uncertainties often arise due to imperfect understanding of experimental conditions, measurement techniques, or external factors that affect the data. When using ratios, these uncertainties tend to cancel out because both the numerator and denominator are subject to the same uncertainties.

2. How do ratios help to reduce systematic uncertainties?

Ratios essentially normalize the data, allowing for a more direct comparison between two quantities. This means that any systematic uncertainties that affect both quantities will be divided out, leaving behind only the random uncertainties which tend to be smaller in magnitude.

3. Can systematic uncertainties completely disappear when using ratios?

No, systematic uncertainties can never completely disappear because they are a result of imperfect understanding or uncontrollable external factors. However, using ratios can significantly reduce their impact on the final results, making them less significant compared to the random uncertainties.

4. Are there any limitations to using ratios to reduce systematic uncertainties?

Ratios can only help to reduce systematic uncertainties if they are truly dependent on the same factors. If there are other sources of uncertainty that affect one quantity but not the other, the systematic uncertainties may not cancel out completely when using ratios.

5. How can one ensure that ratios are a valid method for reducing systematic uncertainties?

One way to ensure the validity of using ratios to reduce systematic uncertainties is to perform multiple independent measurements and compare the ratios between them. If the ratios are consistent within the expected range of uncertainty, it is likely that the systematic uncertainties have been appropriately accounted for.