Why do waves form in a glass of water when hitting the table?

In summary, the circular waves formed on the surface of the water in the cup are a result of the circular symmetry of the glass and the uniform force transmitted by the table. The center of disturbance is at the center of the cup, creating concentric circles due to nature's love for symmetry. The particular wave mode that is excited is unclear, but other members may have an answer for that.
qorizon
So I have a cup of cold water placed on a table, as I hit the table with my palm I'm seeing concentric circles forming and disappearing on the water surface. Why is this happening? Are they waves or something else?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes waves.

How are they formed in the glass considering I've hit only the table and not the cup? And why the concentric circles instead of just random waves?

Ah, those are more interesting questions.

1) The glass rests on the table, Your slap vibrates both the table and the glass.
2) There are many modes of oscillation (wave patterns) possible in a glass. Why that particular mode was excited and not others, I can't say. Wait a bit and other PF members will probably give you the answer to that.

qorizon said:
And why the concentric circles instead of just random waves?

Given the circular symmetry of the glass, and the assumption that the force transmitted by the table is uniform over the bottom of the glass, it might be more surprising if the waves weren't circular.

Well, when you hit the table, it seems that the "centre of disturbance" turns out to be at the centre of the cup...which turns out that the average of the total disturbance acting on the basement of the cup acts at the centre ( nature love symmetry!).

pixel said:
Given the circular symmetry of the glass, and the assumption that the force transmitted by the table is uniform over the bottom of the glass, it might be more surprising if the waves weren't circular.
The waves wouldn't be circular if the disturbance would not show up at one point (consider the case of throwing a stick horizontally into water-rectilinear waves)...but in this case(the cup) the disturbance turns out to show up at a single point (obeying natures symmetry).

Related to Why do waves form in a glass of water when hitting the table?

1. What causes rings to form in a glass of water?

Rings in a glass of water are caused by variations in surface tension, which is the force that holds the surface of water together. When an object, such as a glass, is placed on the surface of the water, it disrupts the surface tension, causing the water molecules to move away from the object and create a depression. This depression appears as a ring around the object.

2. Why do rings sometimes form in a glass of water but not always?

Rings only form in a glass of water when there is a difference in surface tension between the water and the object. If the surface tension of the water and the object are similar, no ring will form. For example, a plastic cup will not create a ring in a glass of water since both the water and the plastic have similar surface tensions.

3. Can the size of the ring in a glass of water indicate the cleanliness of the glass?

Yes, the size of the ring in a glass of water can indicate how clean the glass is. A larger ring can suggest that the glass is not clean, as there may be oils or other contaminants on the surface that disrupt the surface tension of the water more than a clean glass would.

4. How can you prevent rings from forming in a glass of water?

To prevent rings from forming in a glass of water, you can try using a different type of glass with a different surface tension, such as a plastic cup. Alternatively, you can try wiping the rim of the glass with a clean cloth before placing it on the surface of the water, as this will remove any oils or contaminants that may disrupt the surface tension.

5. Are there any practical applications for studying rings in a glass of water?

Yes, the study of rings in a glass of water has practical applications in various industries, such as the food and beverage industry. Understanding how surface tension works can help in the development of products with specific properties, such as low-fat foods or drinks with a stable foam. Additionally, the formation of rings can also be used as a technique to measure surface tension and detect contaminants in liquids.