Why do we do this in Differential Equations?

In summary, the conversation discussed the difference between two forms of solutions for a differential equation and how they can both satisfy the original equation but have different interpretations. The conversation also included a specific example of an initial value problem and how the choice of solution form can affect the value of the constant in the solution.
Saladsamurai
I have always gone along with this, but now I am not so sure:

Take the DE:

[tex]y' +4y = 0[/tex]

If you carry out the integration, we get

[tex]y = e^{-4x} +C\qquad(1)[/tex]

but we always pull some stuff like "well since we could write C as ec1, since it's arbitrary", we can write the solution like

[tex]y = c_1e^{-4x}\qquad(2)[/tex].

I am not buying that they are the same. Yes, I know... the solution in (2) satisfies the original DE. Here is my problem, (1) gives a family of curves that differ by a vertical shift whereas (2) gives a family of curves that differ by a "stretch" or compression about the y-axis. How can these be the same thing?

So why do I bring this up anyway? I was doing the following initial value problem

[tex]y' = y^2 + y -6 \qquad(3)[/tex]

I got a solution of

[tex]\ln\frac{y-2}{y+3} = 5x + e^{C}\qquad(4)[/tex]

you can see that I used "the trick" in (4), letting co =eC so that when I exponentiate, I get a nice

[tex]y(x) =\frac{3Ce^{5x}+2}{1-Ce^{5x}}\qquad(5)[/tex]

now comparing this to the book solution, this time they did not use the trick and got

[tex]y(x) =\frac{3e^{5x + c}+2}{1-e^{5x+c}}\qquad(6)[/tex]

Naturally, I figured that (5) and (6) are the same. But when I go to use the initial value of y(5) = 10, if I use my version (5), I get that C is virtually zero since it is given from

[tex]10 - 10Ce^{25} = 3Ce^{25} +2\qquad(7)[/tex]

However, the book plugs it into (4) of all god damn places and gets that C = -25.

What am screwing up conceptually here?

Physics news on Phys.org
C =0 in the first equation.

Start at the beginning. y=exp(-4x)+C only works as a solution in y'+4y=0 if C=0. C*exp(-4x) always works no matter what C is. Just substitute. They aren't the same. Nobody is 'pulling some stuff'.

Hi sigma face :smile: I really have no idea what you mean or how it helps. What do you mean C = 0 in the first equation? That is the general solution! Why would it equal zero?

Saladsamurai said:

Take the DE:

[tex]y' +4y = 0[/tex]

If you carry out the integration, we get

[tex]y = e^{-4x} +C\qquad(1)[/tex]
No, you don't. If you substitute this into the DE you get -4e^(-4x) + 4e^(-4x) + C != 0 unless C happens to be 0.

If you separate the original DE, you get
[tex]\frac{dy}{y} = -4dx[/tex]

Integrating both sides gives you
[tex]ln|y| = -4x + C[/tex]

Exponentiating both sides gives you
[tex]e^{ln|y|} = e^{-4x + C}[/tex]

The right side is the same as [tex]e^C\cdot e^{-4x}[/tex]

[itex]e^C[/itex] is just a constant, so it can be renamed c1.

Saladsamurai said:
but we always pull some stuff like "well since we could write C as ec1, since it's arbitrary", we can write the solution like

[tex]y = c_1e^{-4x}\qquad(2)[/tex].

I am not buying that they are the same. Yes, I know... the solution in (2) satisfies the original DE. Here is my problem, (1) gives a family of curves that differ by a vertical shift whereas (2) gives a family of curves that differ by a "stretch" or compression about the y-axis. How can these be the same thing?

So why do I bring this up anyway? I was doing the following initial value problem

I got a solution of

you can see that I used "the trick" in (4), letting co =eC so that when I exponentiate, I get a nice

now comparing this to the book solution, this time they did not use the trick and got

[tex]y(x) =\frac{3e^{5x + c}+2}{1-e^{5x+c}}\qquad(6)[/tex]

Naturally, I figured that (5) and (6) are the same. But when I go to use the initial value of y(5) = 10, if I use my version (5), I get that C is virtually zero since it is given from

However, the book plugs it into (4) of all god damn places and gets that C = -25.

Hey :-),
If you sub in your answer into the differential equation you would arrive at the same conclusion.

Edit
Mark44 already took care of it.:-)

Dick said:
Start at the beginning. y=exp(-4x)+C only works as a solution in y'+4y=0 if C=0. C*exp(-4x) always works no matter what C is. Just substitute. They aren't the same. Nobody is 'pulling some stuff'.

Ok. So it has to equal zero, but people are definitely pulling stuff. What about the rest of what I wrote? What about the initial value problem? Why would it depend on which form I use? And how would I know what form to use?

So is my (5) NOT the same as their (6) ?

Last edited:
Saladsamurai said:
Ok. So it has to equal zero, but people are definitely pulling stuff. What about the rest of what I wrote? What about the initial value problem? Why would it depend on which form I use? And how would I know what form to use?

So is my (5) NOT the same as their (6) ?

If the books C is C', then your C is e^(C'). If the book got -25 for C'. Then your C is e^(-25). Sure, it's almost zero. Might be better to work with the books definition of 'C' if you want to get easy to work with numbers. But there is nothing wrong with your solution either.

You described your second problem as being an initial value problem. You gave the DE, but not the initial condition. You need that to be able to get the constant.

Mark44 said:
You described your second problem as being an initial value problem. You gave the DE, but not the initial condition. You need that to be able to get the constant.

Hi Mark :smile: the IV problem is in the OP along with the IV

Saladsamurai said:

<snip> ...

I got a solution of

[tex]y(x) =\frac{3e^{5x + c}+2}{1-e^{5x+c}}\qquad(6)[/tex]Naturally, I figured that (5) and (6) are the same. But when I go to use the initial value of y(5) = 10, if I use my version (5), I get that C is virtually zero since it is given from

EDIT:
Dick said:
If the books C is C', then your C is e^(C'). If the book got -25 for C'. Then your C is e^(-25). Sure, it's almost zero. Might be better to work with the books definition of 'C' if you want to get easy to work with numbers. But there is nothing wrong with your solution either.

I apologize, they plug it into their version of (4) which is

[tex]\ln\frac{y-2}{y+3} = 5x + c_1[/tex]

and they solve for c1 = -25

My main problem is that my book is the one who said that I should write it as a constant multiplier! Not as an added constant ... so i don't know why they would taylor an IV problem solution like this.

Last edited:
Ah, I see it now. It was buried down later in what you wrote.

1. Why do we use differential equations in science?

Differential equations are used in science to model and describe various natural phenomena. They provide a mathematical framework for understanding and predicting how systems change over time. This allows scientists to make predictions and test hypotheses about real-world systems, making it an essential tool in many scientific fields such as physics, biology, and engineering.

2. What makes differential equations different from other types of equations?

Differential equations involve rates of change and are used to describe how a system changes over time. This is different from other types of equations, such as algebraic equations, which describe relationships between variables at a specific point in time. Differential equations are also often more complex and require specialized techniques to solve.

3. Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are important because they help us understand and model the world around us. Many natural processes, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and motion, can be described using differential equations. By using these equations, we can make predictions and gain insights into how these systems behave.

4. What are some real-life applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have numerous real-life applications, including predicting weather patterns, designing bridges and buildings, analyzing financial markets, and understanding the spread of diseases. They are also used in the development of new technologies, such as control systems for airplanes and spacecraft.

5. How do we solve differential equations?

Solving differential equations involves finding a function that satisfies the equation. This can be done using various analytical and numerical methods, depending on the complexity of the equation. Some common techniques include separation of variables, integrating factors, and using computer software to approximate solutions. In some cases, it may not be possible to find an exact solution, and approximations must be used.