Why do we have both sine and cosine?

In summary, the existence of both sine and cosine functions may seem unnecessary, but they were originally defined as ratios of sides in a triangle. The exponential definition came later and the familiar trig identities are easier to derive using the geometric definition. Other trig functions have fallen out of common use, but were once convenient for calculations. While one could have evolved trigonometry with only one function, the existence of both sine and cosine provides a more intuitive approach.
Maurice7510
This might seem like a really basic question that one might cover in gr 9 or 10 but instead my friend and I were discussing it now, when he just got his degree and I'm a credit away from mine: why on Earth are there both sine and cosine functions when simply one would do? Either can be expressed in terms of the other with a phase shift of π/2 and there weren't any identities we could think of that would necessitate an entirely new function to express that. My only thought was that maybe standard sine and cosine functions weren't originally posed as themselves, instead having been derived using complex exponentials -- the +/- between the terms could warrant the use of separate functions for a notational convenience. The other thought I had was that maybe they weren't posed first, and were derived from their hyperbolic analogs.
While neither of my suggestions seem likely, we couldn't think of any other reason that we would need to define two functions instead of one function of different arguments.
If anyone has any insight I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Math students first encounter them in elementary trig., where it is simpler to define them separately, as well as tan. Later on one learns sec, csc, and ctn. Personally I find the last three (also tan) as annoying, so working with trig functions I prefer to reduce everything to sin and cos.

Complex exponential and hyperbolic functions come much later.

Maurice7510 said:
This might seem like a really basic question that one might cover in gr 9 or 10 but instead my friend and I were discussing it now, when he just got his degree and I'm a credit away from mine: why on Earth are there both sine and cosine functions when simply one would do? Either can be expressed in terms of the other with a phase shift of π/2 and there weren't any identities we could think of that would necessitate an entirely new function to express that. My only thought was that maybe standard sine and cosine functions weren't originally posed as themselves, instead having been derived using complex exponentials -- the +/- between the terms could warrant the use of separate functions for a notational convenience. The other thought I had was that maybe they weren't posed first, and were derived from their hyperbolic analogs.
While neither of my suggestions seem likely, we couldn't think of any other reason that we would need to define two functions instead of one function of different arguments.
If anyone has any insight I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

This is how the 6 trigonometric functions were originally defined:

trigonometry-functions.gif

Each if the three functions in the first row, sine, cosine, and tangent, has a complementary function defined on the second row, which function is just the multiplicative inverse; for example, cosecant A = 1 / sine A. Sine and cosine are ratios of the opposite and adjacent sides of the triangle with the hypotenuse, and yes, they are connected by the well-known identity sin2 A + cos2 A = 1. The exponential definition of the trig functions came many centuries after the geometrical definition, and the familiar trig identities are probably easier to derive using the geometry of the triangle than trying to manipulate an exponential, at least for teens taking trig for the first time.

Sometimes, most of the utility of defining similar functions is that each is convenient to use in certain situations.

Likes Atlas3 and DrClaude
The coordinates of a point on the unit circle are ##(\cos(\theta), \sin(\theta))##. This is a lot more convenent than, say, writing ##(\cos(\theta), \cos(\pi/2 - \theta))##.

Likes Atlas3 and micromass
I would say that sine, cosine, and tangent are just ratios of sides of a triangle, thus we have three tables to look up on (oops, I'm showing my age). It's only when you get to the unit circle that you run into looking at "why three?"

leetramp said:
I would say that sine, cosine, and tangent are just ratios of sides of a triangle, thus we have three tables to look up on (oops, I'm showing my age). It's only when you get to the unit circle that you run into looking at "why three?"

There are several more trig functions which have fallen out of common use, but which once appeared in trig tables:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versine

These other trig functions are defined in terms of the usual sine, cosine, and tangent, but while these functions were once used for surveying, navigation, and astronomy, they seem to have dropped out of regular use. In their heyday, though, they were quite convenient for doing calculations with the aid of trig tables.

Likes DrClaude
Well steamking's explanation and diagram show that sine and cosine at a first glance seem to be two totally different things (one is opposite side/hypotenuse, the other is adjacent side/hypotenuse)

But then again one can see easily , that the sine of the one acute angle ##\phi## of the orthogonal triangle equals to the cosine of the other acute angle which is ##90-\phi##,

So i guess yes we could ve lived and evolve trigonometry with just sine or cosine.Maybe for intuitive reasons it seems more straightforward to say ##cos\phi## than ##sin(90-\phi)##.

1. Why do we have both sine and cosine?

Both sine and cosine are fundamental functions in mathematics and are used to represent different aspects of a circular motion. Sine represents the vertical component of a circular motion, while cosine represents the horizontal component. Together, they provide a complete description of the motion.

2. Can't we just use one of them instead of both?

While it may seem like one function would suffice, using both sine and cosine allows us to accurately describe any circular motion in any direction. This is because the two functions are complementary to each other, and when used together, they provide a more comprehensive understanding of the motion.

3. Are there any real-life applications of sine and cosine?

Yes, sine and cosine are used in a variety of real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and astronomy. They are used to describe periodic phenomena, such as sound waves, light waves, and planetary motion. They are also used in fields like signal processing, robotics, and computer graphics.

4. How are sine and cosine related to triangles?

Sine and cosine are also used in trigonometry, where they are related to triangles. In a right triangle, the sine of an angle is equal to the ratio of the length of the side opposite the angle to the length of the hypotenuse. Similarly, cosine is equal to the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse.

5. Can we express one function in terms of the other?

Yes, we can express sine in terms of cosine and vice versa using trigonometric identities. For example, the identity sin²x + cos²x = 1 allows us to express sine in terms of cosine (sinx = √(1-cos²x)). This shows the interdependence of the two functions and how they are both necessary in mathematics and other fields.