Why do we specify chart image is open? (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Hi,

When we define a manifold, and in particular define what a chart is, one of the conditions we specify is that the image [tex] \phi(U) [/tex] is open in [tex]R^n[/tex]. Why do we specify this?

For example if we didn't specify this and allowed closed balls, then we could cover [tex] S^1 [/tex] by [tex] \theta [/tex] where [tex]\theta \in [0,2\pi) [/tex], and wouldn't need two charts.

I know that open balls and continuity go hand in hand, so I understand if we take [tex] U \subset M [/tex] as an open interval and want to define a continuous map [tex] \phi [/tex] then it must be that [tex] \phi(U) \subset R^n [/tex] is open. But what if our [tex] U \subset M [/tex] is not open, then why do we care if the image is open or not?

Basically why is this part of the definition?

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I can't think of a good answer right now, so I'll just point out that [itex]f:X\rightarrow Y[/itex] is said to be continuous if [itex]f^{-1}(V)[/itex] is open for each open [itex]V\subset Y[/itex], and said to be open if [itex]f(U)[/itex] is open for each open [itex]U\subset X[/itex].

I can't think of a good answer right now, so I'll just point out that [itex]f:X\rightarrow Y[/itex] is said to be continuous if [itex]f^{-1}(V)[/itex] is open for each open [itex]V\subset Y[/itex], and said to be open if [itex]f(U)[/itex] is open for each open [itex]U\subset X[/itex].

Yep, sorry was being a bit sloppy above.

DrGreg

Science Advisor
Gold Member
For example if we didn't specify this and allowed closed balls, then we could cover [itex] S^1 [/itex] by [itex] \theta [/itex] where [itex]\theta \in [0,2\pi) [/itex], and wouldn't need two charts.
But then you wouldn't necessarily have the required continuity at [itex]\theta = 0 [/itex]

Last edited:

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I think DrGreg's #4 works.

As an alternative way of looking at it, you want to be able to define a metric at a given point P in a chart. Say you want to express the metric as a line element [itex]d\ell^2=g_{ab}dx^a dx^b[/itex]. You need to be able to fit those infinitesimally small dx's inside a neighborhood of P, without leaving the domain of your coordinate chart. If the chart is defined on an open set, then you're guaranteed that they fit. If it's not, then P could be a boundary point, and you would then have at least one dxa that didn't fit inside the chart.

Even if you're not interested in defining a metric -- say you just want to talk about manifolds as abstract topological spaces. The standard definition of a manifold is something that "looks like" (i.e., is homeomorphic to) [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex] locally. If you don't interpret "locally" to mean "on some sufficiently small *open* set," then you don't correctly capture the intended definition of a manifold, as opposed to a manifold with boundary or something else.

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving