Why does a ball moves at an angle when it collides with another ball?

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of two colliding billiards balls and how their movement is affected by the point of contact during collision. It is explained that the contact forces between the balls act perpendicular to the surfaces at the point of contact, causing the balls to move at an angle rather than straight after collision. It is also mentioned that this is due to the normal force, which is always perpendicular to the contact surface. The question of why the force is normal rather than parallel to the motion of the ball is raised, leading to a discussion on how bodies interact and forces are applied in contact situations. The OP eventually comes to understand the role of the normal force in this scenario.
R Power
Hi friends
Consider two balls such as billiards balls . When one ball collides with another ball at a point which is some distance away from centerline of two ball system, both balls move at some angle relative to each other depending upon the point of contact during collision.
Why does this happen?
Why don't the second ball moves straight after getting hit by the first ball?

Physics news on Phys.org
The second ball is just moving perpendicularly to the point of contact an any case.

The contact forces between the billiard balls act perpendicular to the balls' surfaces at the point of contact. Sketch the collision and draw the forces, and you'll see why they move as they do.

the ball moves prependicular to the tangent at the point of contact. Why?
It should move in the direction of force applied i.e purely vertical

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 404
The force applied is perpendicular to the contact point, not in the same direction as the ball is travelling. This is why it's hard to cut a snooker ball when it is close to 90 degrees.

R Power said:
the ball moves prependicular to the tangent at the point of contact. Why?
It should move in the direction of force applied i.e purely vertical

Maybe if you stated why you think there would be a force component parallell to the contact point, it would be easier to clear any misconceptions.

Maybe if you stated why you think there would be a force component parallell to the contact point, it would be easier to clear any misconceptions.
Why do you think of parallel force component ? Force is applied in vertical direction and so should the red ball move in vertical direction.

R Power said:
Why do you think of parallel force component ? Force is applied in vertical direction and so should the red ball move in vertical direction.

Why do you think the force would act in the direction of movement?

Why do you think the force would act in the direction of movement?
When did i say this? I said that movement should occur in the direction of force applied.

R Power said:
When did i say this? I said that movement should occur in the direction of force applied.

The force applied isn't in the direction the ball is/would be moving. It's the normal force that causes movement, and the mornal force is perpendicular to the contact, that's why it moves at an angle.

You showed a ball moving vertically towards another ball, and asked why the second ball does not move vertically. To me that means you think that the force applied to the second ball is in the direction of the 1st balls motoin.

To me that means you think that the force applied to the second ball is in the direction of the 1st balls motoin.
Yes i think same. I know i am wrong because in reality ball moves at angle this means force acts prependicular to the red ball but i don't know why this happens.
Black ball should apply force in the direction it is moving!

R Power said:
But then you say...
R Power said:
Black ball should apply force in the direction it is moving!
Two very different statements.

doc
i accept i said all you wrote above and i know i am wrong just tell me why i am wrong?
Why don't the black ball aplly force in the direction it is moving?

EDIT: nm you realize that it's the normal force so I'll unsize it.

This is how all things apply force when in contact with each other. Think of a block on a slope, gravity acts vertically downwards, but the force between the contact is perpendicular to the slope. It's difficult to explain it more simply, as that's just how things contact each other.

Last edited:
R Power said:
doc
i accept i said all you wrote above and i know i am wrong just tell me why i am wrong?
Why don't the black ball aplly force in the direction it is moving?
Since the balls are smooth, the only force they can exert on each other is normal to their surface. (As xxChrisxx has explained several times.) That force will have a component in the direction of motion of the black ball, but it acts at an angle.

Why what?

Why the force is normal?

Why the direction of the normal force is not in the direction of motion?

Why the acceleration of the hit ball must be in the direction of the force?

ok i think i got it!

that's how bodies interact and forces are applied

The OP seems to be asking a pretty comprehensible question. I am at a loss at to how it is not being understood.

Why is the force applied by the black ball acting in a direction normal to the contact surface rather than parallel to the black ball's motion (as might be intuitive to the layperson)?

I think he gets that the force is applied normal to the contact surface, but why?

DaveC426913 said:
The OP seems to be asking a pretty comprehensible question. I am at a loss at to how it is not being understood.

Why is the force applied by the black ball acting in a direction normal to the contact surface rather than parallel to the black ball's motion (as might be intuitive to the layperson)?

I think he gets that the force is applied normal to the contact surface, but why?

We all get the question, and we all understand what the op is saying. Care to take a stab at answering that question?

EDIT: And in the OP it was in no way clear that he understood it to be the normal force acting. It's was only in post 11 after many people had stated it that he agreed it was the normal force.

Last edited:
EDIT: And in the OP it was in no way clear that he understood it to be the normal force acting. It's was only in post 11 after many people had stated it that he agreed it was the normal force.
But i posted a figure in 4th post which i think u didn't see!
you are wrong!
If i didn't know that force was "in real" normal then this question would not arise in my mind!
Secondly, i could not upload the figure i did if i didn't know the force was normal.
Look at the figure where i draw a common tangent and then i show the actual direction of movement of red ball and the dotted one which i thought should be the direction(i know i was wrong in that).
I know i was wrong that force should act in the direction of motion of black ball but what i wanted to find out was why?

I think you understand me what i wanted to know!
Now i imagined to find out the answer. Tell me if i am correct:
A body experiences force and thus acceleration due to electronic repulsions between the body and the body applying force. So when a ball collides with another ball as in my system stated earlier, then at the point of contact electronic repulsions would be prependicular to the point of contact and so the red ball will move in the direction prependicular to the point of contact.
Correct me if i am wrong!

R Power said:
But i posted a figure in 4th post which i think u didn't see!
you are wrong!
If i didn't know that force was "in real" normal then this question would not arise in my mind!
Secondly, i could not upload the figure i did if i didn't know the force was normal.
Look at the figure where i draw a common tangent and then i show the actual direction of movement of red ball and the dotted one which i thought should be the direction(i know i was wrong in that).
I know i was wrong that force should act in the direction of motion of black ball but what i wanted to find out was why?

That's fair enough communicating thoughts on a forum is not always clear, I'm rubbish at it.

But the way you worded the responses was slightly confusing until you explicity stated in post 11 that it's the normal force, even then it was not clear that you understood. Especially when you stated after that that the force should be in the direction of the black balls movement (post 11).

Then the question became why the normal force? And the only answe I can come up with is "becuase it is". I'm hoping Dave or someone can come up with something more substantial.

so what about the answer i think in post 22?

Because only in the direction normal to the contact surface force can be "taken" by the second ball.That is the only direction in which the second ball is resisting the motion of the first ball.The coefficient of friction is very very small. If there was bigger coefficient of friction between the balls there would be force in the direction parallel to the contact surface.

vlado_skopsko said:
Because only in the direction normal to the contact surface force can be "taken" by the second ball.That is the only direction in which the second ball is resisting the motion of the first ball.The coefficient of friction is very very small. If there was bigger coefficient of friction between the balls there would be force in the direction parallel to the contact surface.

Oh I see what you're saying. In order for the moving ball to impart a direction on the stationary ball, there would have to be an area of contact, and some friction. With two rigid balls and an elastic colllision, the contact surface between the two balls is effectively a point.

So, in laypersons terms, the stationary ball is "blind" to anything other than the point of contact, which has neither significant area, nor direction. Without either the those things, the force acting on it is simply along a line from contact point to centres of mass (i.e. the normal).

what about my explanation in post 22

xxChrisxx said:
EDIT: nm you realize that it's the normal force so I'll unsize it.

This is how all things apply force when in contact with each other. Think of a block on a slope, gravity acts vertically downwards, but the force between the contact is perpendicular to the slope. It's difficult to explain it more simply, as that's just how things contact each other.

I actually have a question about normal forces. I think this may be what the OP is confused about as well, as to why the normal force acts perpendicular. How is it proven that normal force is acts perpendicular to the surface/tangent of the contact? What kinds of experiments can be done to prove that this occurs for all contact between two objects?

Secondly, if an object is moving then the normal force should not be constant right? How would I calculate this normal force, and if the black ball was moving at constant velocity, would it be the momentum transfer that causes this normal force to exist? What information is necessary to graph the Force - Time graph of this interaction (to find the impulse transmitted)? Is it triangular (ignoring friction between the ball and of the ground)?

Red_CCF said:
I actually have a question about normal forces. I think this may be what the OP is confused about as well, as to why the normal force acts perpendicular.
Well, by defintion for starters. Normal means "perpendicular".

So, the question is more accurately:

Why is the force exerted as a normal force?

DaveC426913 said:
So, the question is more accurately:

Why is the force exerted as a normal force?
And the answer to that, which I thought I gave a while back, is that we are assuming that the balls are smooth--no friction. Thus any force they exert can only be perpendicular to their surface.

Doc Al said:
And the answer to that, which I thought I gave a while back, is that we are assuming that the balls are smooth--no friction. Thus any force they exert can only be perpendicular to their surface.

Yep. I think that's the crux. But I'm not sure it's entirely obvious why that's so.

I've been trying to come up with a macro-scale example of poking an object such that you can't impart any directional momentum on it. Like pushing a floating boat with your finger, or tapping a balloon.

DaveC426913 said:
Yep. I think that's the crux. But I'm not sure it's entirely obvious why that's so.

I've been trying to come up with a macro-scale example of poking an object such that you can't impart any directional momentum on it. Like pushing a floating boat with your finger, or tapping a balloon.

Yea I think that's where the confusion is coming from. Right now it's more like we are told this is true without explanation.

Red_CCF said:
Yea I think that's where the confusion is coming from. Right now it's more like we are told this is true without explanation.

Ok let me take a stab at it.

The cause of the normal force is electromagnetic repulsion between atoms on the two bodies, yes? Since there is no friction, then we are assuming that the surfaces are smooth at an atomic scale. Hence, if we zoom into the area of contact between the two bodies, it would look like perfectly flat parallel surfaces. So there can only be a force perpendicular to the two surfaces.

Does it make any sense?

DaveC426913 said:

I think this is just way too obvious to need a "why". Why does a car on ice spin its wheels instead of moving forward? Because there is no friction between the wheels and the ground. Is this not obvious to you?

The cause of the normal force is electromagnetic repulsion between atoms on the two bodies, yes? Since there is no friction, then we are assuming that the surfaces are smooth at an atomic scale. Hence, if we zoom into the area of contact between the two bodies, it would look like perfectly flat parallel surfaces. So there can only be a force perpendicular to the two surfaces.

Does it make any sense?
Yeah, that makes sense I think. I also thought that!

1. Why does a ball move at an angle when it collides with another ball?

When two balls collide, they exert a force on each other. This force causes the balls to change their direction and velocity, resulting in an angled movement. This is due to the principle of conservation of momentum, where the total momentum of the system (both balls) remains constant before and after the collision.

2. How does the angle of collision affect the movement of the balls?

The angle of collision between two balls determines the direction and magnitude of the resulting movement. If the balls collide head-on, they will continue moving in opposite directions. However, if the collision occurs at an angle, the balls will move in different directions based on the angle of collision.

3. What factors influence the angle at which the balls move after collision?

The angle at which the balls move after collision is influenced by several factors, including the angle of collision, the masses and velocities of the balls, and the elasticity of the balls. A steeper angle of collision will result in a greater change in direction, while a more elastic ball will retain more of its initial velocity after the collision.

4. Can the angle of collision be predicted?

The angle of collision between two balls can be predicted using mathematical equations and principles such as conservation of momentum and energy. However, it may be difficult to accurately predict the exact angle due to factors such as friction and imperfections in the balls' surfaces.

5. How does the surface of the balls affect the angle of collision?

The surface of the balls can affect the angle of collision by altering the amount of friction between the two balls. A rougher surface will result in a greater loss of energy and a steeper angle of collision, while a smoother surface will result in less energy loss and a shallower angle of collision.