Why Does a Positive Charge q Seem to Lose Kinetic Energy in the Diagram?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Miike012
Messages
1,009
Reaction score
0
Look inside the paint doc.
My question is why does the paragraph say ...A positive charge q gains kinetic energy as it falls towards the negative plate...

However the graph shows that the positive charge q loses kinetic energy...

I am confused what am I not understanding?
 
Attachments
  • qqqqqq.jpg
    qqqqqq.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 544
Physics news on Phys.org
"Falling" appears to mean going toward x = 0, i.e. going left in the graph.
 
I think the U and K labels are the wrong way round in the diagram if time is increasing to the right. K should be increasing and U should be decreasing if a charge starts at rest on one of the plates and accelerates to the other - which is what the written passage says.