But then, how does one calculate the force needed to move a charge a certain distance then?In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding the concept of work done by a charge in relation to its electric potential energy. The participants question whether the work done should be positive or negative in various scenarios, and the expert clarifies that the work done is positive when the object moves in the same direction as the applied force, and negative when it moves in the opposite direction. The expert also explains that the work done is equal to the change in electric potential energy and recommends treating the charges as a system to calculate the force needed to move them a certain distance.
Abu
I am confused how a charge could have negative work done.

To clarify, I was doing a problem earlier in which a positive charge and negative charge are moving towards each other. I used the equation
work = Δv * q

And when I was doing this, the change in electric potential, Δv, was negative, and the charge i was moving, q, was positive. That means the work was negative. Let's say that it was -5 Joules.

I realize that this work, -5 Joules, is the change in electric potential energy. I assume it is negative because when the two unlike charges move together, no work is required because the two are moving together naturally, which means the electric potential energy is transferring to kinetic energy, thus making a negative change in electric potential energy because it is decreasing.

However, let's say I wanted to use this work value, -5 Joules, in the formula w = f * d to find the force for the distance d that the charge traveled. Do I choose to use -5 Joules or positive 5 Joules? I am conflicted because:
1. The charge is moving in the direction of the attractive force between it and the negative charge, thus making me want to choose the positive 5 Joules

2. No work was required to even move the positive charge to the negative charge, so it could be wrong to use w = f*d

3. The charge had a w value of -5 Joules, so if I just used that directly for the w = f * d equation, my force would be negative which does not make any sense at all.

I guess what I'm really asking is:
Is work done when a positive charge and a negative charge move together, and if so, is that work positive or negative?

I realize that my question might be extremely confusing, if you want me to explain something that I said I will be more than happy to.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Abu said:
I guess what I'm really asking is:
Is work done when a positive charge and a negative charge move together, and if so, is that work positive or negative?
The work done is positive when the object moves in the same direction as the applied force. That's certainly the case for charges attracted to each other and moving toward each other.

And that should make sense, since the kinetic energy of each charge increases.

Doc Al said:
The work done is positive when the object moves in the same direction as the applied force. That's certainly the case for charges attracted to each other and moving toward each other.
And that should make sense, since the kinetic energy of each charge increases.
Okay thanks! So if I get -5 joules for the
change in electric potential energy, I should use positive 5 joules in the work formula, w = f*d ?

Abu said:
change in electric potential energy, I should use positive 5 joules in the work formula, w = f*d ?
For this sort of situation I would not use that work formula. (For one thing, the force varies with distance.) Instead I would treat the two charges as a system. And since the forces are internal, mechanical energy is conserved: So ΔPE + ΔKE = 0. If the change in PE is -5 Joules, the total KE increases by 5 Joules.

Likes Abu
Doc Al said:
For this sort of situation I would not use that work formula. (For one thing, the force varies with distance.) Instead I would treat the two charges as a system. And since the forces are internal, mechanical energy is conserved: So ΔPE + ΔKE = 0. If the change in PE is -5 Joules, the total KE increases by 5 Joules.
So if the question was how much work is required for a negative charge and positive charge to move together to a distance d apart, the work that you would have to do would be zero, correct? Because the natural movement for those two charges is to come together. But the attracting force does work though, so imagining that the change in electric potential energy was -5 joules again, does that mean that the attractive force does positive 5 joules of work to move the two opposite charges to a distance d apart, while you yourself do 0 work?

Thank you for your patience

Abu said:
So if the question was how much work is required for a negative charge and positive charge to move together to a distance d apart, the work that you would have to do would be zero, correct? Because the natural movement for those two charges is to come together.
Sure, if you just separate the charges and let them go, then you are not even involved and certainly do no work on them. But if you slowly bring the charges together, you will have to do negative work to keep the charges from speeding up. (Example: What work do you do when lowering a book some distance at uniform speed?)

Abu said:
But the attracting force does work though, so imagining that the change in electric potential energy was -5 joules again, does that mean that the attractive force does positive 5 joules of work to move the two opposite charges to a distance d apart, while you yourself do 0 work?
Yes. The forces between the charges do positive work, adding KE. And you have nothing to do with it, since you let them go.

Abu said:

##W=-\Delta U##. Assuming that ##W## is the work done on the particle by the electric field, as is the usual convention.

But, as others noted, the force would have to be constant to be able to say that ##W=Fd##.

Mister T said:
Of course, because ##W=-\Delta U##. Assuming that ##W## is the work done on the particle by the electric field.
Oh. I had no idea that the formula had a negative sign. My class excluded that from the formula. Is there a reason why some choose to use the formula without the negative sign?

Mister T is correct. W=−ΔU. That is the definition of potential energy

Oh, yeah, sorry about that. If ##W=q\Delta V## then ##W=\Delta U##. Therefore you are using the convention where ##W## is the work done by the particle. A rather strange, but valid, way of doing things.

Pose the following scenario to your instructor. A ball falls from ceiling to floor. Is ##W## positive or negative? Because the gravitational potential energy decreases, making ##\Delta U## negative. So if your instructor says ##W## is positive then he's defining ##W## to be the work done on the ball, and ##W=-\Delta U##. Note that as the ball falls the force and displacement are positive, and that makes ##W## positive!

Basically, there is nothing wrong with negative work. Confusion arises if you don't use the correct definition for work. W = Fd is not correct. It is valid under only very specific cases. If you don't know vectors, then the definition of work, FOR A CONSTANT FORCE, is W = Fd cosθ, where θ is the angle between the force and the displacement. For example, if a shopping cart is rolling down an incline, and you want to stop it, by exerting a force in the direction opposite to its motion, then the angle between the force and the displacement is 1800, and the work done is negative.

Thank you everyone for your replies and I apologize for the late response. I really appreciate the effort you guys put into helping others understand these physics topics. I am currently in the process of digesting all of this useful information and will follow up with my instructor about what convention he prefers. I'll make another comment on this same thread if I have any other questions about it.

But really I appreciate everyone's help, it means a lot.

1. What is negative work in relation to electric potential energy?

Negative work occurs when a force is applied in the opposite direction of the displacement. In the context of electric potential energy, this means that the force is acting against the direction of the electric field. This results in a decrease in the electric potential energy of the system.

2. How is negative work related to conservative forces?

Negative work is a characteristic of conservative forces. These are forces that do not dissipate energy and are dependent on the initial and final positions of the object. If the net work done by all conservative forces on an object is negative, the object will experience a decrease in potential energy.

3. Can negative work be done on an object without changing its electric potential energy?

Yes, negative work can be done on an object without changing its electric potential energy. This can occur when the force applied is perpendicular to the direction of displacement, as no work is done in this case. Additionally, if the object is moving in a direction that is parallel to the electric field, the change in potential energy will be zero.

4. What happens to the electric potential energy when negative work is done on an object?

When negative work is done on an object, its electric potential energy decreases. This means that the object moves to a lower potential energy state, either by decreasing its height or moving towards a region of lower electric potential.

5. How is negative work related to electrical circuits?

In electrical circuits, negative work is done when the electric current flows in a direction opposite to the electric field. This results in a decrease in potential energy for the charges in the circuit. This is important in understanding the behavior of electrical components, such as resistors and capacitors, in a circuit.