Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why does a projectile sitting on the ground travel further than a

1. Jul 12, 2011 #1
    Why does a projectile sitting on the ground travel further than a projectile launched on a cliff? As per HyperPhysics it said that sitting on ground a projectile at 15m/s and 40 degrees above the horizontal would travel +22 m but if you put on top of a 3 m high cliff, the range would be shorter. Can someone explain this?

This is the site:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/traj.html#tracon

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Re: Projectiles

That doesn't sound right. Can you give the exact link where it states that?

4. Jul 12, 2011 #3
  5. Jul 12, 2011 #4

Doc Al

6. Jul 12, 2011 #5

I just compare the two scenarios using the simulations.

The first one was the box right above "Will it clear the fence?"

The second one was "Where will it land?" a couple of boxes down.

I used Vi of 15 m/s and angle of 40 degrees and a height of 3 m for the second one.

Now I just noticed that if you add the X1 and X2 together then it matches the answer from the first one but shouldn't it still be further?

7. Jul 12, 2011 #6

I used the one above "Will it clear the fence?" and then "Where will it land?" for the cliff scenario.

initial velocity of 15 m/s at 40 degrees and then a cliff height of 3 m.

Now I did just notice that if you add the two x components, it equal the answer from the first one but shouldn't it still be further coming off a cliff?

8. Jul 12, 2011 #7

Doc Al

The "Will it clear the fence?" problem is different than the "Where will it land?" problem. If you want to compare how far something goes when fired off of a cliff to how far it goes on flat ground, use "Where will it land?" for both. The difference is that for a cliff you'll set y = 3 m; for flat ground set y = 0.

9. Jul 12, 2011 #8

They simulations give the same answer. My concern is that whether it is off the ground or off a cliff, you still get the same range. Is that right? Shouldn't it be further for the scenario off the cliff?

10. Jul 12, 2011 #9

Doc Al

The simulations give different answers. (Note: As stated in the simulation, you must use y = -3 for the cliff example.)

For flat ground (y = 0): x2 = 22.6 m

For cliff (y = -3 m): x2 = 25.7 m

As expected, the range from the cliff is greater.

11. Jul 12, 2011 #10

thanks...otherwise I was totally confused.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook