Why does a rubber band shrink when heated with a hairdryer?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
IB tired
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hmm...some experimenting led to an interesting result. I attached a weight to a rubber band and suspended the rubber band in some hot water. The rubber band expanded. I repeated the experiment in cold water and the band shrank. An expected result, yes? Well I redid the experiment in air and I got something totally different. I used a hairdryer and heated the band with the weight on it and the band shrunk...anybody care to explain why?
thanks!
:)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have an estimate (be close) of the temperatures involved?
 
IB tired said:
Hmm...some experimenting led to an interesting result. I attached a weight to a rubber band and suspended the rubber band in some hot water. The rubber band expanded. I repeated the experiment in cold water and the band shrank. An expected result, yes? Well I redid the experiment in air and I got something totally different. I used a hairdryer and heated the band with the weight on it and the band shrunk...anybody care to explain why?
thanks!
:)

Maybe google to see how "heat shrink tubing" works. Note -- the rubber band's length was permanently changed by the hot air, correct?