Why Does a Ruler Rise Up a Pencil When Swung at Higher Frequencies?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Lil_Aziz1
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Lil_Aziz1
Messages
21
Reaction score
1
Hey everyone. So I was bored and I started swinging my ruler around my pencil (my ruler has a little hole where my pencil can be inserted into). Then I remembered we talked about why the ruler starts to go up the pencil if frequency increases in my physics class last year. The thing is, I can't remember why exactly this happens. I just remember talking about it. Now when frequency goes up, angular velocity goes up, then angular acceleration goes up, and then centripetal acceleration goes up. What's providing the centripetal acceleration? The normal force from the pencil (I think). However, this does not answer how it goes up the pencil because centripetal acceleration is horizontal and force of gravity is downward.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Erm. I'm having hard time picturing exactly what you are doing and what do you mean by going up. Do you mean swinging it in a vertical or horizontal plane?
 
Could it be that as you are twirling the ruler your pencil is tracing out a cone? As the speed increases, the inertia of the pencil creates more force force the ruler to move outward and upward on the pencil than gravity creates to move it downward.
 
skeptic2 said:
Could it be that as you are twirling the ruler your pencil is tracing out a cone? As the speed increases, the inertia of the pencil creates more force force the ruler to move outward and upward on the pencil than gravity creates to move it downward.

Exactly.