Why does a vertical crossbow shoot more accurately than a horizontal one?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter JAG1118
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Balance
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
33 replies · 7K views
johnbbahm said:
I had never seen a vertical crossbow before looking it up just now, but if you have
ever seen a slow motion video of an arrow being fired, it appears to oscillate on the
same axes as the string.
A bolt while shorter and stiffer may still have oscillations.
If the oscillations are on a vertical plane, the inaccuracy would look like
more or less drop, if the oscillation were on a horizontal the inaccuracy would show
up as an error off the center line.
This is just an idea and may be way off the mark.
Some of the new HD video cameras have a slow motion function, it might be worth a watch.

Hi John,
That is a good point, but I am shooting the same bow in V and H and the patterns are basically the same but much larger when I shoot it in The H position.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you try hanging a vertical stabilizer rod from the horizontal bow to help keep it more horizontal?
 
JAG1118 said:
Hi John,
That is a good point, but I am shooting the same bow in V and H and the patterns are basically the same but much larger when I shoot it in The H position.
Hi Jag,
It's not the bow, but how the bolt is pushed out, I think the oscillation
may be lined up with the string, so the V has the error in the vertical,
while the H has the error in the horizontal.
 
berkeman said:
Can you try hanging a vertical stabilizer rod from the horizontal bow to help keep it more horizontal?

I am sure that would help, I have to try it to see. I am trying to keep everything equal and adding a stabilizer is defeating the purpose of this thread, the difference in balance with H and V. I was looking for some scientific terminology that might help me with my question. There has to be test that have been done on objects for compairson. Right?
Thank you Berkman,
 
Last edited: