Why does aluminum leech into a water bottle, but stainless steel does not?

In summary, aluminium leeches into water bottles, but stainless steel does not. The professor was saying that using aluminium water bottles will result in a small amount of aluminium ions dispersing into the water. Stainless steel, however, does not have this problem.
pa5tabear
Why does aluminum "leech" into a water bottle, but stainless steel does not?

My professor was saying that using aluminum water bottles will result in a small amount of aluminum ions dispersing into the water. Stainless steel, however, does not have this problem.

Is this true? Why? I'm curious about the chemical/physical differences that would cause these effects.

Chemistry news on Phys.org

Aluminium is quite reactive, while stainless steel is an alloy composed of Iron, Nickel, Carbon, etc. making it more inert than aluminium.

AGNuke said:
Aluminium is quite reactive, while stainless steel is an alloy composed of Iron, Nickel, Carbon, etc. making it more inert than aluminium.

I know that i's more reactive. I'm wondering about a physical explanation for why?

Physical Explanation? What do you mean by that? This is not a physical phenomena, its a chemical reaction going on, so what physical explanation are you expecting?

The good news is that your professor was probably quite wrong. There will be no significant leeching of aluminium unless the pH of the water goes outside the range from 4 to 10. Aluminium is covered with a strongly adherent layer of oxide that makes it "passive" to chemical attack from most reagents. Check out a "pourbaix diagram" for aluminium.

You can quite safely use an aluminium water bottle without ingesting any toxic aluminium compounds. However, do not use it for Cola drinks or fruit juices!

JohnRC said:
The good news is that your professor was probably quite wrong. There will be no significant leeching of aluminium unless the pH of the water goes outside the range from 4 to 10. Aluminium is covered with a strongly adherent layer of oxide that makes it "passive" to chemical attack from most reagents. Check out a "pourbaix diagram" for aluminium.

You can quite safely use an aluminium water bottle without ingesting any toxic aluminium compounds. However, do not use it for Cola drinks or fruit juices!

Ah no this is exactly what he was saying. That aluminum will leech with low ph liquids. And that they often coat it in bpa to avoid this, and that is why aluminum bottles are no better than more common plastic bottles.

Still, what is the chemical explanation for aluminum alloys being more reactive than steel alloys?

Aluminium bottles are not used because aluminium in not a cheap metal to purchase, even in comparison to some other metals.

And as for leeching, food is prepared in aluminium vessels in my house for past 15-20 years and still the vessels are in good shape, so it is not that water and spices and salts are eating my vessel.

As for the chemical reaction, it is the simple oxidation of aluminium to aluminium oxide.

Mechanism of resistance is in both cases identical - passivation with oxide, but chromium oxide is much more resistant to low pH solutions than aluminum oxide is.

AGNuke said:
Aluminium bottles are not used

Really?

And as for leeching, food is prepared in aluminium vessels in my house for past 15-20 years and still the vessels are in good shape, so it is not that water and spices and salts are eating my vessel.

Have you checked how much their mass have changed?

As for the chemical reaction, it is the simple oxidation of aluminium to aluminium oxide.

This is a non-answer - question was "why are aluminum alloys more reactive".

You are all overthinking this problem. The professor said that aluminum leaches into water from aluminum containers, and it does. Stainless steel doesn't have this problem because...

IT'S NOT MADE OF ALUMINUM! It's made from iron, chromium, nickel.:biggrin:

Borek said:
Really?
You took my statement too much close to heart. I mean, who uses them as commonly as plastic bottles. I don't remember anyone using aluminium bottles.
Have you checked how much their mass have changed?
15-20 years are good enough to leech vessels, considering you cook Indian in them 3 times in day. And these utensils are even older than me. I am not even 20.
This is a non-answer - question was "why are aluminum alloys more reactive".

AGNuke said:
You took my statement too much close to heart. I mean, who uses them as commonly as plastic bottles. I don't remember anyone using aluminium bottles.

15-20 years are good enough to leech vessels, considering you cook Indian in them 3 times in day. And these utensils are even older than me. I am not even 20.

Aluminium bottles -- about 500 mL with a thermos type screw top -- commonly used as bushwalking water bottles around here. Do not leach Al unless used for fruit juice instead -- not recommended at all. (Time to get the right word -- leech refers to quite a different hazard of bushwalking.)

Aluminium vessels will lose mass if used around the kitchen only if
(1) used for very acidic brews, or
(2) cleaned up in very alkaline automatic dishwasher environment.

Aluminium vessels will lose mass if used around the kitchen only if
(1) used for very acidic brews
Don't know about that. Never checked whether the broth is acidic.
(2) cleaned up in very alkaline automatic dishwasher environment.
Manual washing, so not an issue.

1. Why does aluminum leech into a water bottle?

Aluminum leeches into a water bottle due to a process called corrosion. When water comes into contact with aluminum, it causes a chemical reaction that breaks down the metal and allows it to enter the water.

2. What are the health risks of aluminum leeching into a water bottle?

Exposure to high levels of aluminum in drinking water has been linked to health issues such as kidney problems, nervous system disorders, and an increased risk of Alzheimer's disease. However, the amount of aluminum that leeches into a water bottle is usually too small to cause harm.

3. Why does stainless steel not leech into a water bottle?

Unlike aluminum, stainless steel is made up of a combination of metals such as chromium, nickel, and molybdenum, which create a protective layer on the surface of the metal. This layer prevents the metal from corroding and leeching into the water.

4. Can the type of water affect the leeching of aluminum into a water bottle?

Yes, the pH level and temperature of the water can affect the rate at which aluminum leeches into a water bottle. Higher temperatures and lower pH levels can speed up the corrosion process and increase the amount of aluminum in the water.

5. How can I reduce the risk of aluminum leeching into my water bottle?

To reduce the risk of aluminum leeching into your water bottle, you can choose a stainless steel or BPA-free plastic bottle instead. You can also avoid leaving water in the bottle for extended periods and wash the bottle regularly to prevent any buildup of aluminum. Additionally, using filtered water can also help reduce the amount of aluminum in your drinking water.