Thermos Bottle: Stainless Steel Inside & Out - 24h Cold & 12h Hot

In summary, a thermos bottle has different cold and warm times because heat is transferred differently based on the temperature difference.
barnabe_fisico
TL;DR Summary
A thermology question: Keeping different cold and heat in thermos bottle
imagem_2022-07-11_102902950.png

Manufacturer information:

Interior material: stainless steel
Exterior materials: Stainless steel
Keeps cold liquid for: 24 hours
Keeps hot liquid for: 12 hI was looking for a thermos bottle and came across a situation that I'm having a hard time answering.
Why is the cold keeping time different from the warm time?

Physics news on Phys.org
barnabe_fisico said:
Summary: A thermology question: Keeping different cold and heat in thermos bottle

Probably because heat loss is proportional to the difference between inside and outside temperatures.

If your room is at 70F, cold water at 40F is 30F colder than the room, but boiling water at 210F is 140F hotter than the room.

Likes PeroK, Merlin3189, hmmm27 and 2 others
Heat transfer is proportional to the difference in temperatures. The bigger the the difference in temperature between heat source and heat sink, the faster heat will be transferred.

[nm Anorlinda beat me.]

Likes barnabe_fisico and anorlunda
anorlunda said:
Probably because heat loss is proportional to the difference between inside and outside temperatures.
Maybe also because the range of acceptable "cold beverage" temperatures is different than the range of acceptable "warm beverage" temperatures.

Likes sophiecentaur, Merlin3189, barnabe_fisico and 2 others
barnabe_fisico said:
Summary: A thermology question: Keeping different cold and heat in thermos bottle

No thermodynamic reason.
( With radiative heat transfer - which is usually what is meant by a thermos - and the same temperature difference between hot and ambient, and cold and ambient. the hot will cool down slightly faster than the cold object. For temperatures of drinks that we consume the difference of power heat transfer is only about 5%, and less as the bodies approach ambient, so not a typical concern at all. )

since they do not define 'hot' or 'cold', or the 'test' conditions. it boils down to whether or not you accept their 'data' on face value, and purchase the product.

Likes sophiecentaur and barnabe_fisico
256bits said:
For temperatures of drinks that we consume the difference of power heat transfer is only about 5%, and less as the bodies approach ambient, so not a typical concern at all
I think the effect is quite a bit larger. Net radiated power across a constant temperature difference goes as the third power of the absolute temperature. (difference between 2 fouth powers). 5% would correspond to a temperature difference of only about 293 * (1.017) about 4 K, where the difference is more like 50K.

Likes 256bits
willem2 said:
I think the effect is quite a bit larger. Net radiated power across a constant temperature difference goes as the third power of the absolute temperature. (difference between 2 fouth powers). 5% would correspond to a temperature difference of only about 293 * (1.017) about 4 K, where the difference is more like 50K.
So much for the table napkin calculation.o:)
I get a much larger initial percentage now - 28%.
If hot is closer to 100 C, then the 12 hour cooling could be correct.

256bits said:
( With radiative heat transfer - which is usually what is meant by a thermos ...
My experience of vacuum flasks (sometimes Thermos, more often not) is that conduction is a significant route of heat loss (or gain - though I have much less experience of that.)
When I decided to buy a steel vacuum flask, because glass ones were too fragile, I quickly decided to go back to glass, because they do at least retain some heat!
I assume that both have a similar vacuum gap, and I give the benefit of the doubt to steel in hoping that (polished?) steel might be as reflective as "silvered" glass, but I suspect that even thinner stainless steel is more conductive than the glass. At any rate, I found it much less effective than my glass ones.

For both types there is a plug and I also believe heat is conducted through that.

1. How does a thermos bottle keep drinks hot or cold for extended periods of time?

Thermos bottles are designed with a double-wall vacuum insulation, which creates an airless space between two stainless steel walls. This vacuum prevents heat transfer by conduction, convection, and radiation, keeping the contents of the bottle at a consistent temperature for up to 24 hours for cold drinks and 12 hours for hot drinks.

2. Can I put both hot and cold drinks in a thermos bottle?

Yes, you can put both hot and cold drinks in a thermos bottle. The vacuum insulation works in both directions, preventing heat transfer from the outside environment to the contents of the bottle. This allows you to keep hot drinks hot and cold drinks cold in the same thermos bottle.

3. Is stainless steel the best material for a thermos bottle?

Stainless steel is a popular choice for thermos bottles because it is durable, non-toxic, and has low thermal conductivity. This means that it does not easily transfer heat from the outside environment to the contents of the bottle, making it an effective insulator. Additionally, stainless steel is easy to clean and does not retain odors or flavors from previous drinks.

4. How do I clean a thermos bottle?

To clean a thermos bottle, first, make sure to empty any remaining liquid. Then, fill the bottle halfway with warm water and a few drops of dish soap. Close the lid tightly and shake the bottle vigorously for a few minutes. Rinse the bottle thoroughly with hot water and let it air dry with the lid removed. For tough stains or odors, you can also use a mixture of baking soda and water to scrub the inside of the bottle before rinsing.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using a thermos bottle?

When used properly, thermos bottles are generally safe to use. However, it is important to make sure that the lid is tightly closed to prevent spills or leaks. Additionally, it is not recommended to use a thermos bottle for carbonated drinks, as the buildup of pressure can cause the bottle to burst. It is also important to regularly clean and maintain the bottle to prevent bacteria growth and ensure safe consumption of drinks.