Why does current lag behind voltage in inductor?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of inductors and their role in circuits. Inductors are named for their high magnetic coupling, which causes their magnetic field to affect the element itself. They react against changes in current, causing a lag between voltage and current. This is due to the induction of an electric field that counteracts the change in magnetic field. The conversation also touches on the concepts of reactive resistance and power in AC circuits.
as we know that the ohmic resistance of the inductor is very low.
when we apply some potential or voltages to the coil the coil energies and a flux is produced in it.
There are three types of effects when we apply voltages to the coil.
1) As according to the self induction when due to the change in direction or magnitude of flux then emf induces in that coil.
2) we know that when electricity is given to any motor than back emf induces in that motor so here back emf also produced and due to which a current also flows through the inductor which is opposite in direction to the supply current.this back current provides some resistance in the flow of current that's why current lags from voltage in inductors.
3) third and last one effect relates with the LENZ's law according to which current always opposes its own generating process.
so by the above given reasons we say that the current lags from the voltage in the inductor so the back current is partially stopped that current.
Due to that partial stop of current voltages become leading.
THIS ANS IS GIVEN TO ME BY OUR GOOD TEACHER
MUSSADIQ ALI RAZA

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Bassalisk said:
I've seen that this question has been asked but never answered because guy was silent on formulas.

I can say that i am familiar with formulas, and i know how to derive the equation for current, and that II/2 lag, but here is the thing... Why? i know that formulas say so... But can someone please try to explain this to me in more touchable and intuitive way ?Thanks

touchable and intuitive, eh?
All you need is to believe Lenz's law.

here's how i came to believe it at the primal level. I felt it.
You need a decent sized 115 volt transformer, maybe a pound or two, and an analog multimeter with RX1 scale such as Simpson 260.
Or, lacking a meter, a D cell battery and a smallish transformer.

Set the multimeter on RX1, zero it and connect to the transformer's primary.
You will see the meter move to indicate the winding resistance of just a few ohms.
Repeat until you get a feel for how fast the needle moves.
Then reverse the leads, and you should notice a short hesitation before needle begins its travel.
Note difference in delay when you reverse or don't reverse leads between readings .

That delay is the transformer's inductance opposing the (increasing) current flow from the meter. A Simpson 260 on RX1 scale will push about 100 milliamps into low ohms. Lenz's law says inductance will oppose change in flux. That's the delay you observe on the meter.
When you don't reverse leads, the transformer is less able to resist because core was left mildly magnetized, so there's less change in flux than when you do reverse leads.

Now pinch the two transformer leads beneath fingers of one hand.
Apply multimeter again and note the shock you feel when removing the test lead.
That is the inductance opposing the reduction of flux - it will literally "Bite the hand..."

>>>>>NOTE --use one hand, don't ever intentionally pass current through your chest.<<<<<

if you don't have a multimeter , use a smaller transformer and a D cell...
>>> Repeat:: smaller transformer <<<

feeling that shock should help you believe that inductance vigorously opposes change in flux... quite vigorously.

Now - back to definition of inductance

inductance (L) = flux linkages per ampere
L = n * Phi / I ;; n=turns, I = amps, Phi = flux
so flux = I * L/ n ;; which says ( L and n being constants ) current and flux are in proportion no time delay
so the inductor tries to maintain flux by maintaining current;
which it does by producing voltage that you can feel

and it's symmetric, inductance will oppose an increase or a decrease in current.An ideal inductor could hold out forever but a real one reaches limit on current through its copper or flux through its core.
Recall that a sinewave is a mathematical special case, where time delay becomes phase...

That simple experiment should help you believe the formulas.
But - use a transformer you can pick up with one hand. A big one would be dangerous.

or just take my word for it...
old jim

Last edited:
jim hardy said:
touchable and intuitive, eh?
All you need is to believe Lenz's law.

here's how i came to believe it at the primal level. I felt it.
You need a decent sized 115 volt transformer, maybe a pound or two, and an analog multimeter with RX1 scale such as Simpson 260.
Or, lacking a meter, a D cell battery and a smallish transformer.

Set the multimeter on RX1, zero it and connect to the transformer's primary.
You will see the meter move to indicate the winding resistance of just a few ohms.
Repeat until you get a feel for how fast the needle moves.
Then reverse the leads, and you should notice a short hesitation before needle begins its travel.
Note difference in delay when you reverse or don't reverse leads between readings .

That delay is the transformer's inductance opposing the (increasing) current flow from the meter. A Simpson 260 on RX1 scale will push about 100 milliamps into low ohms. Lenz's law says inductance will oppose change in flux. That's the delay you observe on the meter.
When you don't reverse leads, the transformer is less able to resist because core was left mildly magnetized, so there's less change in flux than when you do reverse leads.

Now pinch the two transformer leads beneath fingers of one hand.
Apply multimeter again and note the shock you feel when removing the test lead.
That is the inductance opposing the reduction of flux - it will literally "Bite the hand..."

>>>>>NOTE --use one hand, don't ever intentionally pass current through your chest.<<<<<

if you don't have a multimeter , use a smaller transformer and a D cell...
>>> Repeat:: smaller transformer <<<

feeling that shock should help you believe that inductance vigorously opposes change in flux... quite vigorously.

Now - back to definition of inductance

inductance (L) = flux linkages per ampere
L = n * Phi / I ;; n=turns, I = amps, Phi = flux
so flux = I * L/ n ;; which says ( L and n being constants ) current and flux are in proportion no time delay
so the inductor tries to maintain flux by maintaining current;
which it does by producing voltage that you can feel

and it's symmetric, inductance will oppose an increase or a decrease in current.

An ideal inductor could hold out forever but a real one reaches limit on current through its copper or flux through its core.
Recall that a sinewave is a mathematical special case, where time delay becomes phase...

That simple experiment should help you believe the formulas.
But - use a transformer you can pick up with one hand. A big one would be dangerous.

or just take my word for it...

old jim

You got my attention. I understood mostly of it. I will definitely try this. :D

I understood mostly of it...

thanks.

i sort of swapped terms on you there, using current and flux interchangeably before showing that they are indeed one another's image...
but i think that is a key detail to grasp when figuring out inductance.
grasping that little insignificant(?) point will help you understand how real inductors depart from ideal ones.

Keep it simple. (That helps things "go well".)

old jim

I didn't get to read the whole thread...but will throw in my two cents nonetheless.

Reactance of an inductor is JWL...or WL <90 degrees.

V=IR...In this case R = JWL

When you divide the voltage by 90 degrees...you get a minus 90 degrees.

Therefore current is lagging voltage.

A capacitor does just the opposite 1/(JWC).

You get a current vector in the plus 90 degree direction. This is how power factor correction is achieved.

Any questions?

So many of you guys don't want to get your feet wet in Calculus. However, if you consider that the voltage that appears across an inductor is proportional to the rate of change of the current, then the current will be the integral of the voltage. When you apply this to a sinusoidal signal, you get exactly the lead and lag effects you would expect.
Why is that not a perfectly good explanation?

This thread is almost 8 moths old. In these 8 months my calculus became very good. So this lagging physically I now understand, but with now good calculus its even simpler.But I do not regret for asking this to be explained on physical level.

Last edited:
Can you claim to be merely 'physical' once you have introduced sines and phases?

To sophiecentar...your explanation is fine...

I just explained it in a different way that proves it mathematically as well...and it also spurs thoughts toward power factor correction.

sophiecentaur said:
Can you claim to be merely 'physical' once you have introduced sines and phases?

Well, all I'm saying is that I had troubles with math. I had to get the exam ready. I couldn't learn whole calculus in a week, so i tried to find a common sense and use my current knowledge of physics to get a feeling for that lag.

I did write that I knew about the formula for voltage across the inductor, but did I had a true feeling and knowledge of what derivative and integral means? no.

All I knew was, when I do derivative of a sine, i get a cosine. That is as far as my mind went. Later, when I finished calculus course, and I had to study for my final exam, I had to learn like 250 pages of pure calculus to pass. This final exam is not written, you talk with professor and he can ask you anything.

I had to learn all those theorems, fundamental theorems of derivatives, integrals, derivatives and calculus in general(Fermat's La grange's Cauchy's Cantor's need I go on?) . Did that help me understand a, I may say now simple problem like lag in inductor ? Yes ! Of course it did. But at the point I was asking this question, 8 months ago, I didn't have as good math as I do now.

And yes, I can say that I can "feel" the sine function now. Its not just another function for me.

OK but is "j" 'physical'? The idea of complex numbers comes way along the line in Maths, I should have thought.

Glad to hear you have laid the ghost of hard Maths. One step at a time and it will yield!

sophiecentaur said:
OK but is "j" 'physical'? The idea of complex numbers comes way along the line in Maths, I should have thought.

Glad to hear you have laid the ghost of hard Maths. One step at a time and it will yield!

Yea j isn't physical. I got that. I understood that its only a good tool that somehow works very well when going back and forth between frequency and time domain.

I am very happy that I truly understand how j is incorporated.

Not once I found myself asking: "There must be SOME kind of relation between reactive resistance and imaginary numbers, other than mathematical. This square root of number one, the whole idea of imaginary numbers, and the way they are set up, there must be something there. I know that nobody can answer this question for me. I do know that currently it is just said that it works, and that there is no good reason for why is reactive part imaginary and I know great minds have thought this through and it works, but still you have that little tingling feeling in the back of your head, every time you think of it"

But one time I did that, I went deeper and deeper and deeper, then I stopped. Where did I stop? At the axioms of math. And there are no answers there. They are axioms. If people want to question this relation, then ask a question: What is number? Why are numbers defined like this, why -2 smaller than 2 etc. This just math, pure and purest science that was, is, and will ever exist.

But then again, this science and all this math I learned, It affected me as a person. I am questioning the existence of God, luck and all that stuff that makes life easier. I am beginning to think deterministically. All this is very hard on me.

Aren't we just differentiating between what's very familiar, what's not so familiar and what we jus can't grasp at all? It's all very personal at this level.
If you 'feel' the result of some maths because you've done it so often that it's second d nature then I guess it becomes like the sums you do in your head when you're running downstairs. You just 'do it'. I suppose something like that could be described as Physical.
But is it really?
To my mind, truly 'physical' models are more Concrete Operational (Piagetian Cognitive Levels - google him) and don't support useful hypothesising. Mostly, people on these fora are using more (possibly a private, personal) maths than they are aware of. For Physical, read 'Familiar'.
Formal Maths is useful / essential for seriously progressing but it's also a useful common language because it is less likely to cause misunderstanding. I can't think, for instance, of a more concise term than 'Integral' to describe basically what's going on in many situations.

I think that, to have made the comments you did, implies a comfortable level of Formal Operational thought. The same goes for a lot of other contributors. (Ye Gods - was that a compliment? I'd better watch myself.)
Of course, Formal Operational thought may not actually imply 'reasonableness'. haha

sophiecentaur said:
Aren't we just differentiating between what's very familiar, what's not so familiar and what we jus can't grasp at all? It's all very personal at this level.
If you 'feel' the result of some maths because you've done it so often that it's second d nature then I guess it becomes like the sums you do in your head when you're running downstairs. You just 'do it'. I suppose something like that could be described as Physical.
But is it really?
To my mind, truly 'physical' models are more Concrete Operational (Piagetian Cognitive Levels - google him) and don't support useful hypothesising. Mostly, people on these fora are using more (possibly a private, personal) maths than they are aware of. For Physical, read 'Familiar'.
Formal Maths is useful / essential for seriously progressing but it's also a useful common language because it is less likely to cause misunderstanding. I can't think, for instance, of a more concise term than 'Integral' to describe basically what's going on in many situations.

I think that, to have made the comments you did, implies a comfortable level of Formal Operational thought. The same goes for a lot of other contributors. (Ye Gods - was that a compliment? I'd better watch myself.)
Of course, Formal Operational thought may not actually imply 'reasonableness'. haha

This forum helped me in many ways, other than EE. These posts I read, like yours, are very well written. And I really stress my brain to truly understand what you are trying to say, as you may assume English is not my first language.

I will of course progress as I go to upper years. I will of course be more familiar with math and I will start to think mathematically more, and less physically.

Thank you for your suggestions, I will definitely research them out.

Why thank you kind sir. Your own English is not arf bad at all. You make sense and don't make me smile. What more can one ask for?

sophiecentaur said:
Why thank you kind sir. Your own English is not arf bad at all. You make sense and don't make me smile. What more can one ask for?

No problem at all. Thats why you are Science Advisor and I am student with a lot of questions. Knowledge is my reward sir. :)

I'll try to use the perspective of power. As far as ii know, a conductive predominant circuit has positive reactive power, so S=P+jQ. Now, in per unit, we have S=VI*
By substituting terms I=S*/V* which means I=(P-jQ)/V*
S=P-jQ gives you a negative angle so current lags voltage, if you want to assume an infinite bar which would make the voltage angle equal to zero.

This may not be the explanation you were looking for, but it's just another perspective.

Bassalisk said:
No problem at all. Thats why you are Science Advisor and I am student with a lot of questions. Knowledge is my reward sir. :)

omg - a mutual appreciation society!

what an interesting couple pages.

i'm not anti-math but am sympathetic toward those who struggle with it.

being mildly autistic, my awkwardness made math more difficult for me than it should have been. simple arithmetic mistakes scuttled many a calculus problem that i'd set up correctly but blew the evaluating part from a dropped sign or something.

result is i am real skeptical of formulas unless i can "feel" them.

when you're as dumb as me you have to work twice as hard as normal people and that's why i try to explain things simply - if it keeps somebody from giving up it's worthwhile.

for anybody stuggling with concept behind operator j ;
here's what i decided felt right:
multiplying by operator j shifts phase 90 degrees
multiplying twice shifts you 180 degrees,
which is exactly same as multiplying by -1
so obviously j is sqrt(-1) , for when you multiply it by itself you get -1 and that's a square root.
And of course it's imaginary because everybody knows negative numbers don't have square roots.

works for me. I'm no Euler.
but i learn from most everybody i meet.
great discussion guys , thanks.

old jim

jim hardy said:
what an interesting couple pages.

i'm not anti-math but am sympathetic toward those who struggle with it.

being mildly autistic, my awkwardness made math more difficult for me than it should have been. simple arithmetic mistakes scuttled many a calculus problem that i'd set up correctly but blew the evaluating part from a dropped sign or something.

result is i am real skeptical of formulas unless i can "feel" them.

when you're as dumb as me you have to work twice as hard as normal people and that's why i try to explain things simply - if it keeps somebody from giving up it's worthwhile.

for anybody stuggling with concept behind operator j ;
here's what i decided felt right:
multiplying by operator j shifts phase 90 degrees
multiplying twice shifts you 180 degrees,
which is exactly same as multiplying by -1
so obviously j is sqrt(-1) , for when you multiply it by itself you get -1 and that's a square root.
And of course it's imaginary because everybody knows negative numbers don't have square roots.

works for me. I'm no Euler.
but i learn from most everybody i meet.
great discussion guys , thanks.

old jim

Well you are "dumb" as I am. Because I can only work with formulas if I can "feel" them too. Mathematical and physical ones, both I have to "feel".

I'm not sure I have ever needed to "feel" math...just understand it.

To me math has come easy...but I certainly "feel" for those who trouble with it.

In alegebra there is one basic rule..."what you do to one side of the equation...you do to the other side".

That and there are only two things you can do in math...add or multiply.

Subtracting is addition of the opposite...division is multipication of the reciprical.

And yes, there are a ton of little rules, but the above is pretty much the basics...I "feel".

'multiply' is just a series of additions, in any case.
But ordinary arithmetic rules are not used in all maths - so there is a tiny bit more to it. :cool:

I agree.

You can certainly go far with the basics I mentioned...differetial equations, calc 3 and so on.

But yes...it is a bit more complicated.

And actually the math is simple eventually...learning how to set up the problems in real life...or in story problems is the trick.