Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why does Lightning create Bright Bands on a Camera?

1. Aug 11, 2016 #1
    I tried taking a photo of lightning with my smart phone.

As the lightning flashed across the sky, bright horizontal bands of light flashed across the screen.

What's the cause of this?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2016 #2
    I'm not an expert but the CCD camera uses lines of pixels and when a pixel is overstimulated it overflows into the rest of the pixels in the line. Hope that helps!

4. Aug 12, 2016 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

no not quite ... considering most cameras these days are CMOS sensors

I want to hear more from the OP before answering

5. Aug 12, 2016 #4
    Were you just using the phone as a camera or did it have other apps running?
    If so they might have been generating a bit of random noise on the screen because of lightning interfering with the local cell phone network.

6. Aug 12, 2016 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

firstly ... where you doing video ( movie mode) or photo mode ?
    show us an example if what you captured

If video, it is caused by the shutter method used in today's modern cameras and it's a total pain in the butt for us serious storm photographers

whilst awaiting your image, does it look anything like this one ? ....

upload_2016-8-13_11-51-0.png

this is just one frame out of a video. when viewing the video at normal speed all you see is a
    wide band of flickering bright light, much as the OP described

Dave

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  7. Aug 12, 2016 #6

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

probably not ....
    see my post as an example, Im pretty sure this is what the OP will be referring to

LETS WAIT for the OP to respond to my questions and confirm :smile:
    instead of wild guesses :wink:

Dave

8. Aug 12, 2016 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

It took me several looks to realize what you're referring us to.

The top fifth of the image is blocked out.

9. Aug 13, 2016 #8

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

and the lower 1/3 is excessively darkened. because of the shutter

This is the effect caused by the rolling shutter system used with CMOS sensor cameras .... tis extremely frustrating
    Cameras with CCD chips ( there are very few left unfortunately) use a global shutter. The difference is that the CCD
    imaging system using the "global shutter" system where the signal from the whole chip is switched on and off. rather than just a scrolling band of exposed sensor.

As a result, I'm still using an 8 year old CCD chipped camera with horrible low resolution. Unfortunately, there is
    nothing more modern that I can replace it with

Dave

10. Aug 14, 2016 #9
    It was in video mode. My camera is a Sony Exmor RS IMX240.

The funny thing is that I see these bright bands even if my camera is pointed away from the lightning when it strikes.

11. Aug 14, 2016 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Makes sense. Lightning is bright enough to briefly light up your whole environment bright as day. And it happens very fast. So, as far as the camera is concerned, whether it is pointed at or away from the flash, it is immaterial to its inability to capture the image.

12. Aug 14, 2016 #11

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yup, confirms my suspicion ... just say thankyou to CMOS sensors and rolling the shutter system

there isn't anything you can do about it

Dave

13. Aug 16, 2016 #12
    Ahh, now I see.

Some idiot told me that the bright bands were due to EMPs from the lightning interfering with the electronics. Sounds cool, but bullshit.

14. Aug 18, 2016 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Lightning sure can play weird with electronic devices - radios in particular. Although that's the radio emissions, not the electronics.

If your camera is senstive in the radio band, you could make millions off reverse-engineering it. :woot:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted