Why does Lightning create Bright Bands on a Camera?

In summary, taking a photo of lightning with a smart phone may result in bright horizontal bands of light on the screen. This is caused by the rolling shutter system used in modern cameras, particularly those with CMOS sensors. The effect is present even when the camera is pointed away from the lightning strike. There is currently no solution to this issue.
greswd
I tried taking a photo of lightning with my smart phone.

As the lightning flashed across the sky, bright horizontal bands of light flashed across the screen.

What's the cause of this?

Science news on Phys.org
greswd said:
I'm not an expert but the CCD camera uses lines of pixels and when a pixel is overstimulated it overflows into the rest of the pixels in the line. Hope that helps!

jerromyjon said:
I'm not an expert but the CCD camera uses lines of pixels and when a pixel is overstimulated it overflows into the rest of the pixels in the line. Hope that helps!

no not quite ... considering most cameras these days are CMOS sensors

I want to hear more from the OP before answering

Were you just using the phone as a camera or did it have other apps running?
If so they might have been generating a bit of random noise on the screen because of lightning interfering with the local cell phone network.

greswd said:
I tried taking a photo of lightning with my smart phone.

As the lightning flashed across the sky, bright horizontal bands of light flashed across the screen.

firstly ... where you doing video ( movie mode) or photo mode ?
show us an example if what you captured

If video, it is caused by the shutter method used in today's modern cameras and it's a total pain in the butt for us serious storm photographers

whilst awaiting your image, does it look anything like this one ? ...

upload_2016-8-13_11-51-0.png

this is just one frame out of a video. when viewing the video at normal speed all you see is a
wide band of flickering bright light, much as the OP describedDave

Last edited:
rootone said:
Were you just using the phone as a camera or did it have other apps running?
If so they might have been generating a bit of random noise on the screen because of lightning interfering with the local cell phone network.
probably not ...
see my post as an example, I am pretty sure this is what the OP will be referring to

LETS WAIT for the OP to respond to my questions and confirm :smile:
instead of wild guesses :wink:Dave

davenn said:

View attachment 104606
It took me several looks to realize what you're referring us to.

The top fifth of the image is blocked out.

DaveC426913 said:
It took me several looks to realize what you're referring us to.

The top fifth of the image is blocked out.

and the lower 1/3 is excessively darkened. because of the shutter

This is the effect caused by the rolling shutter system used with CMOS sensor cameras ... tis extremely frustrating
Cameras with CCD chips ( there are very few left unfortunately) use a global shutter. The difference is that the CCD
imaging system using the "global shutter" system where the signal from the whole chip is switched on and off. rather than just a scrolling band of exposed sensor.

As a result, I'm still using an 8 year old CCD chipped camera with horrible low resolution. Unfortunately, there is
nothing more modern that I can replace it withDave

davenn said:
firstly ... where you doing video ( movie mode) or photo mode ?
show us an example if what you captured

If video, it is caused by the shutter method used in today's modern cameras and it's a total pain in the butt for us serious storm photographers

View attachment 104606

this is just one frame out of a video. when viewing the video at normal speed all you see is a
wide band of flickering bright light, much as the OP describedDave
It was in video mode. My camera is a Sony Exmor RS IMX240.

The funny thing is that I see these bright bands even if my camera is pointed away from the lightning when it strikes.

Likes davenn
greswd said:
The funny thing is that I see these bright bands even if my camera is pointed away from the lightning when it strikes.
Makes sense. Lightning is bright enough to briefly light up your whole environment bright as day. And it happens very fast. So, as far as the camera is concerned, whether it is pointed at or away from the flash, it is immaterial to its inability to capture the image.

greswd said:
It was in video mode. My camera is a Sony Exmor RS IMX240.

yup, confirms my suspicion ... just say thankyou to CMOS sensors and rolling the shutter system

there isn't anything you can do about it
Dave

DaveC426913 said:
Makes sense. Lightning is bright enough to briefly light up your whole environment bright as day. And it happens very fast. So, as far as the camera is concerned, whether it is pointed at or away from the flash, it is immaterial to its inability to capture the image.
Ahh, now I see.

Some idiot told me that the bright bands were due to EMPs from the lightning interfering with the electronics. Sounds cool, but bullshit.

Likes davenn
greswd said:
Some idiot told me that the bright bands were due to EMPs from the lightning interfering with the electronics. Sounds cool, but bullshit.
Lightning sure can play weird with electronic devices - radios in particular. Although that's the radio emissions, not the electronics.

If your camera is senstive in the radio band, you could make millions off reverse-engineering it. :woot:

1. Why does lightning create bright bands on a camera?

Lightning creates bright bands on a camera due to the high intensity of light emitted during a lightning strike. This light is captured by the camera's sensor, causing the bright bands to appear in the image.

2. Are the bright bands caused by a camera malfunction?

No, the bright bands are not caused by a camera malfunction. They are a natural result of the intense light emitted by lightning strikes.

3. Do different cameras produce different types of bright bands?

Yes, different cameras may produce slightly different types of bright bands due to variations in their sensors and image processing algorithms. However, the overall appearance of the bright bands is still caused by the same phenomenon of lightning.

4. Can the bright bands be removed from a photo?

Yes, the bright bands can be removed from a photo through photo editing software. However, this may affect the overall quality and composition of the image.

5. Is there a way to capture lightning without the bright bands appearing?

It is difficult to capture lightning without the bright bands appearing, as they are a natural result of the light emitted during a strike. However, using a longer exposure time or adjusting the camera's settings may reduce the intensity of the bands.